August 9, 2009

Another Weekend Come and Gone

Why do the weekends always go by to fast? After a long week, isn't it only fair that the weekends feel equally as long?

Though the weekend flew by, we did manage to get some fun stuff in.

Friday night, Ryan attended the Dodgers game with a co-worker. In fact, if you live in Southern California and were watching the game, you may have seen him. His seats were right behind home plate. Lucky guy!!!

While Ryan was getting some major face time on TV and enjoying Dodger Dogs, I was home with Westin and his buddy Eli (14 months). Megan and I have decided that there's no point in paying a babysitter when we can just trade babysitting with each other. Since Ryan was out, I thought it would be the perfect opportunity to have Eli over. Megan dropped him off around 7. The first hour went pretty smoothly. Westin had just had his dinner, so shortly after Eli arrive, I fed him while Westin played. After Eli was fed, we all played for about an hour and then it was time to put Westin to sleep. This is when things got a little tricky and I realized I definitely needed another pair of hands. Westin would not take his bottle because he was way too interested in what Eli was doing. So, I put Eli in front of the most entertaining toy we have, placed him in my line of sight, and took Westin into his room. The setup seemed to be working perfectly until Eli realized I was not nearby. At this point, I had to put Westin in his crib, feed him his bottle with one hand and hold Eli with my other arm. Then Eli wanted to get down and walk around. (I don't blame him, I don't like watching other people eat when I'm not eating). So I propped Westin's bottle up and chased after Eli. Of course two seconds later, Westin starts crying - so for the next ten minutes, I was running back and forth between the family room to play with Eli and Westin's room to feed him and get him to sleep.

Eventually, Westin fell asleep and Eli and I were able to explore our entire tiny apartment together. It was so fun to see him walk around and discover new things. I loved getting a glimpse at what Westin will be doing in 6 months. It also gave me a good idea of what I need to baby proof around here!

A little before Megan and Tanner returned, Eli started getting tired and Westin unexpectedly woke up. So for the remaining 20 minutes of our night, I had Westin in one arm and Eli in the other... which was working out great until Westin reached over and pulled Eli's cute blonde curls. That of course made Eli cry, which made Westin cry. At that point, I couldn't set either one down without them crying, so I kept them in my arms and bounced them around. (I seriously wish I had this on tape... it was a funny sight). Anyway, all was well when Megan and Tanner arrived to pick up Eli. He was very excited to see them.

Eli and Westin playing - as you can see, Eli actually knows how to play with the toys and Westin still just likes to stick everything in his mouth.

This is Eli hanging out at our front windows. I thought this picture was pretty funny and had to get it on camera.
Caption: "Mom, why did you leave me with this crazy lady. Get me outta here!"
All in all, the evening went really well and I think this is going to be a great setup. However, I think next time I'll make sure Ryan is around if we do it at bedtime :)

After sleeping in a little on Saturday (till 8), my brother Chris stopped by for a quick visit. It was fun to see him and catch up. Later that afternoon, Ryan played in the ward softball game. It was actually the stake championship game... and our ward won!!!

Not really interested in the camera or the game. He was checking out the big kids playing nearby.

After the big victory, BreAnne and Trevor came over and we headed to Westwood for dinner. We were right by UCLA and since these two have NEVER seen the campus (crazy, I know), we decided to take them on a little tour. During our walk, we came across this fire engine in the middle of campus. Westin was pretty interested in its flashing lights, so we took him over for a closer look. A nice fireman offered to take our picture, so we did... and I love that Westin is actually looking at the camera AND smiling. Success! It's going to be so fun when Westin gets a little older and thinks fire trucks are the coolest thing ever.
Today we had a nice morning at church and then another fabulous meal and afternoon at Ryan's house.

Now, it's time to start another week. Ryan heads off to Knoxville tomorrow for a few days :( and will be back on Wednesday night. In the meantime, Westin and I are going to stay with my dad for a night and spend some time at the pool.

3 comments:

Taryn said...

I've been meaning to comment on your blog for awhile now, I love reading it-you are so good at keeping yours up!

We've done the babysitting swap thing before and it is definitely the way to go! Babysitters are SO expensive, plus Westin gets a little playdate this way. He's so darn adorable!

Stopher and Nicolle said...

how do people have twins!!? i had two friends ask me to babysit for their kids, one 9mos and one 6mos...i was in tears and broke down and started calling around. i could not get a hold of anyone. i called some friend i hadn't spoken to in like a year and she answered. desperation! luckily, she came to my rescue! next time, call me, seriously! that's what VTs are for!

Megan said...

ah i loved reading this. and made tanner read it too : ) we'll definitely make sure husbands are involved next time!