April 1, 2011

Spring Break Trip to Utah

Finally some time to blog about our trip to Utah. After Ryan's last final, Westin and I picked him up with the car packed and ready to make the 10 hour drive to Salt Lake. We had timed it perfectly: leave LA around 11 a.m., arrive in St. George by 6 p.m. just in time to watch the BYU tournament game (recorded at my friend Tawni's house), and then get to my mom's before midnight. And it went... seamlessly.

Westin ready for the roadtrip with a box of Wheat Thins out and on his lap before we even hit Burbank. 

And about an hour and a half later, we were already watching movies

Once we got to St. George, we picked up In n' Out and headed to our friends', the Smiths, house to watch the game. Big shout out to Tawni for making sure the game was recorded and ready to go when we arrived. You guys are awesome!

Stella, Saylor, W and me playing Toy Story match

Westin had such a great time playing with all of Stella's toys. 

And I was so HAPPY to get a couple hours with this fabulous girl!

We made it to my mom's house by 11:30 and went straight to bed. The next day we met up with my dad at the Sportsman Expo. No, this is not something we typically attend. In fact, I can't think of an event where I felt more out of place. However, my dad's station was sponsoring the event and I couldn't pass up an opportunity to see Westin hold a baby bear. And even though we actually had a lot of fun at the Expo, you won't find me fishing or deer hunting any time soon. 

After spending some time with the cubs, Grandpa Steve took Westin fishing. Westin loved telling people how big the fish was that he caught. In true Carlston storytelling fashion, he would extend his arms as wide as he could and say, "It was this big!" As you can see for the picture, that may have been a slight exaggeration.

Saturday Westin and I spent the day with my mom while Ryan hung out with some friends watching more basketball. During our outtings on Saturday we picked up Chutes and Ladders and Candyland to play with Westin. He did pretty well with Chutes and Ladders, but Candyland was definitely the big hit at this point. He loved getting the cards with the sweets on them.

On Sunday we celebrated my mom's birthday with my brother, sister and grandparents. We had a yummy dinner and this delicious cake (recipe available in previous post).

Enjoyed by all

Superman!

Monday we were able to visit Ryan's sister, Lindsay, and her family. Westin loves going to Lily and Gemma's house and ransacking their toys. They have great toys ;) We also got to meet the latest addition to their family, Gingersnap.

Then on Tuesday we met up with Allie and her boys at Classic Skating and Fun Center. This is seriously the most fun place to take the boys. They have a blast and it's always a battle trying to tear Westin away from all the excitement.


I tried to teach Westin how to play ski-ball, but he had a difficult time rolling the ball up the ramp, so he came up with this solution. Two minutes later... he was alll but one leg in the machine.

Dinner with Grandma Diana at Rumbi. 

Hangin' with Aunt Kenzie - who was apparently wishing she lived in LA ;) Pretty sure it was about 30 degrees outside.

On Wednesday we went to Provo to run by the BYU Bookstore and visit some friends. While cruising the bookstore, W entertained himself by following the paw prints.

After getting W a new hat, we met up with Krissy and Makayla for a round of bowling. My parents used to take us to the BYU bowling ally every time we went to Utah. I have such great memories of those visits that I couldn't resist having Westin give it a whirl... even if he's still a little young for it. 

Hoping for a strike

After bowling, Brad joined us for lunch at Burger Supreme (one of the best burgers around Provo, in my opinion). At one point during lunch Westin decided to sing Makayla a song ("I Am a Child of God" - one of his favorites). She was so NOT impressed. Half way through the song, Makayla rolled her eyes and then put her hand near Westin's face and said, "no." It was hilarious. And Westin didn't even let that stop him from finishing the song. Already showing persistence despite rejection. There's no doubt this kid will be successful in life :)

On Thursday, we met up with Allie again at the Gateway Discovery Center. We typically love this place but this particular day was so crowded it was kind of hard for the boys to really enjoy it. Oh well, at least we got to see the Evers one more time and that's all that really matters.

Pretending to eat in his little house

Helping hands

Thursday was also BYU's big appearance in the Sweet Sixteen. We were all very pumped (and extremely nervous). Unfortunately, the game didn't go as we all hoped, but it was a great season to be a Cougar fan, nonetheless. Westin and Ryan before the game.

Grandpa Steve and Westin watching the game (Westin was also watching a movie so he wouldn't totally distract everyone from the action.)

Friday Ryan and my dad went skiing in Park City while Westin and I were trapped inside during a snow storm. Then Saturday hit and it was time for us to drive home. The drive went pretty well, minus the storm we hit near Cedar City. Luckily, the weather didn't set us back too much. And here's one last picture of Westin that I had to take because his hair is slowly getting more and more out of control. I don't know what's happening, but he's starting to get a little wave in it on the top. I'm kind of diggin' it.

2 comments:

The Evers Family said...

It was so good to see you guys. P.S. I love the pic of you and Tawni. One day I will get ready for the day and we can get one of the two of us.

Sarah said...

What a fun trip. I love the picture of Westin with the baby bear. It is crazy to look at pictures and see how grown up he is compared to our little playgroup days.