Today was our first day of potty training. I'm not sure where to begin. If I start with how I currently feel, I think I'll just burst out into tears from the utter exhaustion of it all. It was seriously the longest 12 hours I've yet to encounter in life (and I can't say his birth was the longest because I had a C-Section, so maybe this is making up for it).
-
We started off bright and early around 7 a.m. After changing Westin's wet diaper, we told him it was time for big boy underwear and we'd be throwing away his diapers. He met this news with excitement and was happy to chant, "no more diapers," with me as we threw them away. Not too long after that, Westin had his first accident in the kitchen. Following the 3-day potty training method, I had Westin as close to me as I could throughout the day. During this first accident, I was trying to get some breakfast ready. I caught him starting to go, but he had finished by the time we reached the potty. He also got upset by me rushing him off to the potty so suddenly. After explaining that his body was trying to tell him he needed to go pee pee and that using the big boy potty was a good thing (and that I wasn't mad - if that's what he thought), his spirits were back to normal and we proceeded with the morning. He had two more half accidents (meaning he got some of the pee in the potty, but some had soiled his clothes). After that, things seemed to click. He had 10 more successful trips to the potty before his nap.
-
I was getting tired from all the up and down of running back and forth to the potty, not to mention all the extra enthusiasm and excitement I was trying to exude every time he went pee in the toilet (being that happy and positive all the time is exhausting!). Nonetheless, I was feeling optimistic and eager to see how he would progress the rest of the afternoon.
-
Unfortunately, the afternoon did not run as smoothly as the morning, and part of it was my fault (well, maybe you'd say all of it was my fault since I'm the adult trying to teach the 2-year-old, but only saying part of it was my fault somehow makes me feel slightly better about myself, so we'll stick with that). When Westin woke up after only an hour nap, the modd in the house shifted. He was clearly still tired and I was clearly still in need of another hour of peace and quiet. And what was interesting during the afternoon was that Westin seem to learn that he could hold in his pee. There were often times when I caught him holding himself but he wouldn't say he needed to go. When I reminded him to tell me when he needed to go, he would not always do so and we ended up with a few more half accidents. It was clear that he didn't want to stop playing or watching his movie during those instances. However, we still must have run in to the bathroom a dozen times during the afternoon, only for Westin to sit on the potty for a millisecond and then say he was done. Again, I think he was trying to appease me but not wanting to miss out on his other entertainment. This led to some major frustration on my part. I did my best to end the day with as much positive reinforcement as I could, but I was wiped. We ended day one with another successful trip to the potty and then off to bed he went without a diaper. I'm crossing my fingers for a dry night... not sure what to expect.
-
So one day down and two to go. I'm hoping things go a little better for both of us tomorrow. Maybe now that I know what to expect, I'll be better prepared to handle it all. I do think he gets the idea, but just needs more practice. We'll see.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

5 comments:
Potty training Warren was the worst month of my life. He got pee down right away, but the number 2s!!!! ah!! It didn't help that I had a screaming baby in the background either. I'm pulling for you, girl. Stick to your guns and it'll click for him. Here's hoping it clicks faster than it did for my W. (That wasn't much of a pep talk, was it? Sorry about that. Go Westin! Go Courtney!)
Oh, I am so glad I am not you right now. How's that for making you feel better :)
I had a lot of luck with letting Scarlet watch a lot of potty training movies, the Elmo potty one is really good. Might make going during the show more appealing if that is what Elmo is doing!
I don't know if it makes you feel any better, but I COMPLETELY understand. The anxiety I felt all week when I was trying to potty train Charlie was so exhausting, but you can do it! YOu are such an amazing mom -- I can only imagine that you will being singing a song of success before you know it!
you will fail horribly.
love,
your brother
Just reading this post made me tired. So tired. I am so proud of you. However, I don't know that I will be following in your footsteps anytime soon. I think E is ready. However, I am not.
CONGRATULATIONS!! I hope it continues to stick. Call me if you ever want to vent.
Post a Comment