July 9, 2009

Acceptance

Denial. Anger. Depression. Acceptance. - are often referred to as "stages" one goes through during major hardships in life (i.e. the loss of a loved one, divorce, losing a job, serious illness, etc.). I have recently discovered that these are also the stages a woman (and by "woman" I mean the average woman - not the size 2 who goes in and out of pregnancy without ever really looking pregnant) goes through post-pregnancy(ies) as she realizes her body will never quite be the same as it was before (and by "before" I mean, like when she was 18 - because, let's be honest... that's what we still think of as "before" no matter how old we are).

Anyway, this realization came to me yesterday when I was trying to do crunches in the Group X class I was in. Actually, it was really when I tried to pull myself back up into sitting position after the crunches that made me realize that no matter how many classes I do or how hard I work, I don't think I'll ever get those stomach muscles from "before" back. Seriously, without supporting myself with my hands, I could not do a full sit up to get back up. I know - ridiculous, embarrassing and completely depressing! (Why am I even admitting this?)

However, I'd like to place some of the blame on the fact that I was still sore from the class I took on Monday. It was like boot camp.

Hmm, come to think of it... looks like I may still be in that denial stage.

2 comments:

Trisha B said...

It is definitely harder after you have a c-section. I mean they cut those muscles down there.

steph said...

I like that you're realistic about it. Keep on trying ... or denying. I think a dose of both can be healthy sometimes. And you're still beautiful.