February 3, 2010

An Ear Infection and a Baking Disaster

Not quite the combo of topics you'd expect one to write about together, but these are basically the only two things that have gone on this week.

Westin started getting sick last Friday with a runny nose. Things progressively got worse over the weekend with a really bad cough and trouble sleeping. Of course that means that W was in bed with us, which results in Ryan and I not sleeping and both getting sick as well. I finally took W to the doctor this morning (waited nearly 90 minutes to get in and that's with an appointment!) and with one look in the ear, the doctor said he has an ear infection. Poor little guy. We've already got him on antibiotics so hopefully he starts feeling better soon.

Per the baking disaster - well, today is my BFF's birthday. HAPPY BIRTHDAY, MANDY! And, because everyone needs a birthday cake on her/his birthday, I decided I'd make one for Ms. M. She requested a white cake with some kind of white frosting. To make things a little more interesting, I found what appeared to be a delicious black and white chocolate cake (I say "appeared" because I never actually got to the final product, but the picture looked amazing). I started by making the two types of filling: a chocolate ganache-like frosting and a white chocolate whipped frosting. I nearly got through both without any issues. It was when I combined the hot milk to the egg yolk mixture (for the chocolate) that my eggs curdled (I must have added the milk to quickly) and the chocolate filling was ruined. Then I successfully whipped my cream and made the white chocolate mixture, but ruined it when I combined the two. Ugh! I had such high hopes. I was so on the brink of having a Martha worthy dish on my hands. Oh, and the cake itself didn't turn out that great either. Too dense for a white cake. It was just all around depressing and defeating.

Today I opted for a simpler, less stressful route - a lemon yogurt cake with lemon frosting. Success.

3 comments:

Brit Warner said...

Poor Westin! Zoey is sick right now too! We need to get back out to the park when they get better!

Jason and Tawni said...

So sorry to hear about W's ear infection. I haven't had to experience that one yet ut from what I hear, they suck. Hope he gets feeling better soon!

And on the baking disaster ... you are so brave to MAKE a cake, but then again, Mandy is worth it. But seriously, if I ever actually see you on your birthday I will be buying you a cake from the store. Sorry. I am no Martha Stewart but I love that you are!!!

Sarah said...

I hope Westin is feeling much better now. Glad we can stay updated with you guys on your blog! The lemon cake sounds delicious- feel free to pass the recipe my way.