October 27, 2008

Quick Update

Unfortunately I don't have any pictures from this weekend, but I did want to get a quick update on here. I'll try to be brief, but I make no guarantees.

Friday: Survived the work week (barely). Dinner in Hollywood at The Grove with friends.
Saturday: Worked on the baby's room a little (still way more to do). Watched the BYU game (they won!). Dinner in Venice with Trevor and BreAnne. Watched the original Psycho (Ryan and BreAnne had never seen it).
Sunday: Church. Started Eclipse. Ryan worked a little. Dinner at Ryan's parents.

Ok, so that was more of an itinerary of the weekend, but whatev. The real update on life - Ryan is being worked into the ground by both projects he's on. He usually doesn't get home from work until after 9 (and that's on a good night). He tries not to work over the weekend but usually gets an email from one of his managers Sunday afternoon saying, "hope you enjoyed your weekend, here's what we need to get done." Um, pretty sure the weekend IS NOT over at 2 p.m. Sunday afternoon. Last time I checked, the weekend doesn't end until you're in bed Sunday night. Apparently this manager hasn't received that memo. Anyway, if you've seen Ryan's gchat status ("I have nothing") you now know why he's chosen such a depressing statement.

As for this preggo mama-to-be, I just have three more weeks of work before I start my leave. I decided I needed a good month before the baby arrives to relax and get things organized around the house (hey - don't judge, Ryan had three month off between graduation and when he work started. I need something!). After my appointment next week (when I'll be having my next ultrasound - yay), I'll start seeing the doctor every week. Wow - that kind of makes me feel like we're getting down to the wire. We're also starting Child Birth classes next week. I was kind of iffy about the idea, but feel like it's a necessity for the first. Unfortunately, with the way Ryan's work is going these days, he may not be able to make many (or any) of the classes. Don't worry, I do have a back up, and her name is Mandy! She has every Tuesday in November from 7-9 p.m. on hold in case Ryan can't make it. I'll just make sure to share my notes with Ryan so he's not totally left in the dark.

One final pregnancy note: I want to share with you a couple words you should NEVER use when talking to a pregnant woman. These are just two examples that came up last week - at work. The first was from a co-worker (female) and the second was from my boss (male).

1. Huge - context: "Wow, you've really popped. I was just as huge when I was pregnant." This word is never ok to use with a pregnant woman. Yes, we know we're getting fat, but we don't need people to point it out to us.

2. Very - context: "You're looking very pregnant." I believe this to be people's way of trying to be nice when saying, you're getting fat. However, there's no nice way of saying 'you're getting fat' - So, I suggest you just don't say anything at all related to the matter.

Ok, maybe I'm starting to get a little sensitive (blame the hormones)... but is it so much to just ask people to say, you look great???

9 comments:

tracie said...

I had the same feeling about taking child birthing classes. I did it and I'm glad I did but when it came time to actually push the baby out, I completely forgot everything I learned. Good luck to you though.

P.S. You do look great!!

Anonymous said...

Don't ya love how people think they are being tactful ,but really they make you just want to punch them. :)

Greg and Sariah said...

Wait till the baby comes out. Then you'll really get the comments.

Ohhhh...he's HUGE.

Really Lady!!!! Are you sure? Are you the fat doctor? Do you know his percentile? Because actually he is quite normal for his size! Geez!!!

I can't blame hormones on that one. I get soooo mad though when the HUGE and ohhh, he's a bruiser comments come about. I just want to say back...yah you too lady, you're a bruiser.

Okay...thanks for the quick vent! haha

Erika said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Erika said...

So what did Ryan think of Pyscho? - now that he has seen the Bates Motel in person and all.

Also, tell Ryan that I think that you should both quit your jobs and come live with us.

Kurt said...

Courtney, you look great.

Kurt said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Krissy said...

Loved your post, miss you guys!

Jason and Tawni said...

Oh thank goodness that Mandy is there to be your backup at the birthing classes. I think you will be glad that you signed up for them, what is wrong with being prepared and educated about what to expect on your first anyway? I wish that we had a chance to do it but by the time our classes started Stella was already here! Whoops! Oh, and I totally won't judge you about taking a month off to get ready for Baby Rich. I think you will be really glad that you did. Once that kid is here you will never have that same time to yourself so enjoy every minute. I can't wait to see what you do for the nursery. It will be so much fun for you to be a mommy. Seriously, it is by far the HARDEST job I have ever done but so worth it. I love being a mom and I know you will be great. Can you believe that you have just about 6 weeks to go? Yayyyyyyyyyyy!