October 17, 2008

Are you kidding me?

It's had to have been one of the worst 24 hours in sports history (at least for us)... Wednesday night the Dodgers ended their run to the World Series, Manny Ramirez is already talking about leaving LA and the BYU Cougars completely embarrassed themselves against TCU.

Last night's game was a joke. I'm pretty sure my high school team could have put up a better fight than BYU did. We basically proved all the sports analysts wrong and will no doubt hear about it all weekend. I can't wait to hear what PTI says about BYU today - Wilbon has been ranking BYU in his top 5 or 10 teams since the season started. I'm sure he'll be kicking himself in the butt for that mistake.

Luckily Boston's surprising win against Tampa Bay will likely be everyone's top story today, pushing BYU's disgraceful loss back in the lineup a bit. The worst part, I'm not sure Ryan will recover from this one. He took the Dodgers loss pretty well, but was furious with BYU last night and didn't even finish watching the game he was so upset.

I do have to hand it to Bronco though - since day 1 he hasn't really bought in to all the hype about his team and seems to have kept a level head about everything. After the game, he repeatedly said that the loss was due to the lack of preparation on his part.

"Coach [Gary] Patterson had his team more prepared than I had our team," Mendenhall said. "They were sharper in every phase of the game, executed at a higher level from beginning to end, and again that comes down to simply coaching and preparation and their staff did a better job than I did for our program."

We've got a little longer to prepare for our next game (and to get over this loss). Let's just hope some of the other teams in our conference lose this weekend too.

In other sports news - my dad has been playing in the Huntsman World Senior Games in St. George this week (for basketball, of course). His team was undefeated going in to today's championship game... and I just found out that they won for the third year in a row! Congrats, dad.

This is my pops playing in last year's games. They were the Flying Burrito Brothers (don't ask).

I also found these pictures from this week's games. As I was looking through the hundreds of pictures it was tough to tell one old guy from the next, but I spotted my dad pretty easily thanks to a couple key Steve Carlston characteristics - long shorts, cool shoes, an unbelievable jump shot, and he's the only one with hops.

This is him in the air on the left.
Flying in the air again (#20)
BTW - this is also the man who went baseline on Jordan.
More air time.
Making it look easy.
If I haven't scored major points with my dad from this post, I don't know if I ever will :)

2 comments:

Kurt said...

I don't know how long it will take for me to get over this.

Jason and Tawni said...

So much to say ...

Ok, so I don't follow the Dodgers or BYU because I am busy following teams who actually win their games. I am sorry to hear that you are experiencing such an awful season with all of your teams. Just wait until the Jazz spank the Lakers this season, it will be soooo sweet!

Also, Steve looks like he is having way too much fun playing basketball in the games. Congrats on another win! Maybe next year you should bring your baby here to watch him and we can hang out the entire time with the kiddos ...

I LOVE YOUR CRIB! It is beautiful and totally perfect. Why is it that us women are always the ones putting stuff together in the house? I have already set up the computers, the TVs, the strollers, the side tables, and the list keeps going. I guess I just want the job done right the first time huh?

Oh, and last but not least, I am not super happy that it has been so long since your last belly photo. Need I remind you that some of us don't see you all the time and we are dying to stay up on your pregnancy?

Love ya!