September 25, 2012

One Last Post from Switzerland

It's Tuesday night, September 25th. Westin and I go back to the states tomorrow. Three months ago, I felt like we were going to be here forever, and now I can't believe it's already time to leave. Ryan, unfortunately, has two and a half more weeks to go. It's going to be a long two and a half weeks without him around. I'm more sad to leave him than anything. 

W and I are headed back early for one of my best friend's wedding and then to spend some time house hunting in the East Bay. I'm starting to get a bit anxious about this next move... not so much about the moving aspect... we've done that a lot... but more anxious about the fact that we have no idea where we're going to live and the window to look and find a place is kind of small, which makes me nervous that we'll have to take whatever we can get. I guess I just have to have faith that everything will work out... I know that it will.

So today has been filled with laundry, errands and packing. Ryan is going to help us to the train station in the morning, and then W and I are on our own. The train will take us directly to the airport, and then I just have to manage three suitcases, a stroller and W to the ticket counter. I'm hoping that turns out to be as easy as it sounds ;P

We've had a pretty low-key final week here in Zug. The weekend was rainy, so we stayed inside most of the time, aside from going to church on Sunday morning. Throughout the week, Westin and I enjoyed some play dates with friends.

I've got to admit, I'm pretty excited to get home (well, basically just to be back in the state of California - since "home" has no address right now). I've absolutely loved our time here and am incredibly grateful for the opportunities we've had to travel and enjoy this country and those nearby. I wouldn't trade this experience for anything, but I'm ready to get back to our life in the states. I've missed our families and friends the most. And while I know that we will be leaving them again in a couple weeks, at least we'll be closer and it will be easier to visit. I'm also excited for Westin to see his friends, make new friends in SF and more importantly, for him to be able to communicate with his peers! 

I'm greatly going to miss the beauty of this country. I'm going to miss our friends, Niina, Wilma and William. (I was introduced to her by another friend who had lived here for three years.) It was so nice for both Westin and me to have some company. I'm going to miss the chocolate, the cheese and the bread. I'm going to miss walking everywhere... because it meant that I could eat the chocolate, the cheese and the bread. I'm going to miss our weekends. Saturday and Sunday will never be as eventful as they have been the past three months.

I'm not going to miss the mosquitoes and the fact that we didn't have screens, so if we wanted cool air, windows had to be wide open, welcoming mosquitoes and flies the plenty. Oh and I won't miss the fruit flies, or the $30 garbage bags we had to buy. I'm also not going to miss our beds and sheets... surprise, surprise, right? I'm not going to miss the difference in baking ingredients and baking tools. The brown sugar here is NOT the same as the states. 

I'm excited to see familiar faces, drive a car, go to stores like Target and Costco, eat Mexican food, and drink a real Diet Coke... to name a few things.

So with one last entry from Zug, Switzerland, here are a few pictures of life lately from my iPhone.

Always love walking by these types of houses, so beautiful and so well taken care of


A rainy Saturday indoors meant college football online

Remember that mention of mosquitoes? Well, this should give you a good idea of how excited I am to leave them behind. W and I get eaten alive and the itching is unbearable!

German speaking story time at the library

Our final play date with Wilma and William. Friends we'll always remember.

Alright, time to get the final packing done. Next post will be from the states. Ciao!

3 comments:

Sarah said...

I've loved reading about your adventures in Europe! It looks like you definitely made the most of it. As for your impending move, I am sure you have talked to some people in the East Bay area, but if you want someone else to talk to about locations etc I have a good friend who lives in Danville and has lived in the Bay Area for years. I can email you her info if you want, just let me know. :)

Tauna said...

Really??!!! I can't believe it's been 3 months already. That seemed to fly from this perspective too. I have loved reading about all your travels and adventures. You made the most of your time there, for sure! I only wish that your return to Cali meant LA. I'm sure you will love SF. We miss you!

Megan said...

YAY!!! have i told you yet how excited we are to have you guys back (even if its brief??)?? your europe experience is so unique and awesome... something you'll never forget!