March 7, 2011

I Did It!

Westin has recently been using this phrase after just about everything he does. He finishes lunch - "I did it!". He scores a basket, "I did it!". He climbs the stairs, "I did it!". He wakes up from his nap, "I did it!". Yes, I'm serious about that last one. On Saturday, as I walked in the door from grocery shopping, Westin said, "Mom! I did it! I woke up from my nap!".


He even uses this phrase after doing something he's not supposed to. Some examples, the other day at the park I had asked Westin several times not climb from the playground set to a bar that was high off the ground. Of course, the second I turn my back, there he is, attempting to do it again. I was too far away to stop him this time, but luckily he accomplished the stunt uninjured. However, I was already upset that he wasn't listening, so as I stormed over to tell him yet again that he wasn't allowed to do that, he yelled as proudly as ever, "Mom, I did it!", with his arms high in the air. I was already in mid-sentence of scolding, so he then started to cry. I gave him a hug and just tried to tell him that I was scared he would get hurt. He then said, while sobbing, "but mom, I did it." My heart melted. How could I be mad? I congratulated him and then started him on another activity.


The second story actually happened today at Music Makers (a weekly music class we do with friends from church). After class, the kids like to play in the courtyard of the church. In the courtyard there is a set of stairs that leads to the second level of the church. On this second level balcony is an elevator. Usually we don't have an issue with the kids playing with the elevator. They typically just like to run around and wave to us from the railing. Today, Westin climbed the stairs and yelled down, "Hi mom. I did it!", as usual. After waving back to him, I started talking to my friend. A few minutes later I made my scan of the balcony to catch a glimpse of W to make sure he was still alive and well. While doing so, I just casually mentioned to my friend that I hoped he wasn't pushing the buttons of the elevator (which was out of my line of sight). Just then, Westin runs out from the elevator (now on the first floor where I was), and yells, "Hi mom, I did it!". He had given himself a little ride on the elevator, which I couldn't even get mad at because I was so impressed he actually made it from the second floor to the first floor without getting stuck or pressing the alarm button. I guess living in an apartment with a parking structure has its benefits.


On another note, Westin has also decided that he doesn't like to take naps. During the mid-morning, he makes a point of telling me, "Mom, I don't need a nap today. K? I'm not gonna take a nap today." And more often than not, when he actually tells me this, he usually doesn't take a nap on those days. He'll just play or cry in his crib until I give up.


I'm not happy about this. I'm not ready to give up the nap. Help. What do I do?

1 comment:

BreAnne Kavanagh said...

Dang, you have your hands full...i can't believe he rode the elevator by himself! Haha such a smartie.

I have no idea what to do if he's telling you he doesn't want to nap...I think you could tell Westin that he has to have quiet time in his room for an hour a day. Lol but I haven't gotten to that point yet so I'm probably not the best advice on that. Let me know what works though!