March 12, 2009

We have a problem

And by "we" I mean ME because I take full responsibility for getting myself into this mess. Since Westin was born he's had no problem falling asleep in my arms. Because it was so easy to get him to take naps in my arms, I'd just let him fall asleep on me and then I'd put him in his crib a little while after (who was I to think I could get away with taking the easy way out?). He would then finish out his naps in his crib like a good boy. Well... things have changed and I didn't realize what a problem this was until just recently when Westin decided that taking naps anywhere other than my arms was not something he enjoys doing. Now if I put him in his crib after he's fallen asleep in my arms, he'll wake up within 15-20 minutes of when I set him down. Not OK!!! I then calm him down and get him to fall asleep again (in my arms) and put him back in his crib... only to have him wake up 15-20 minutes later very unhappy to find himself in his crib and not in mommy's arms. Soooo... now I have to make it my mission to rid him (and me) of this habit - which means we'll be having a lot of crying going on around here while I try to get him to fall asleep on his own IN his crib. Wish me luck!

2 comments:

tracie said...

I was scared that I would have that problem. I ended up swaddling Brooke and putting her on her side. That seemed to help. When she would start crying I wouldn't pick her up but I would roll her on her side then pat her back until she calmed down. Good luck. Hopefully Westin will learn quickly.

Jason and Tawni said...

I agree with the above comment, try a tight swaddle and he might think he is still in your arms. I have never really had Stella fall asleep in my arms so I can't relate (she is just a crib sleeper and has been since day one) but she is 14 months old and still likes to be swaddled. I guess it's a NICU thing but I think most babies really enjoy it ... Good luck!