December 8, 2010

The Birthday Boy's Big Day

Today was the big day. Westin turned 2. We actually didn't have much planned for today because Ryan was out the door by 6:45 a.m. to take a final and then study for some more finals. In fact, it's 10:30 p.m. now and I've yet to see Ryan since this morning. Luckily there's only one more final and we can start our real celebration on Friday at Disneyland.

Westin was up bright and early this morning, so he did get a few minutes with dad before he was off to school. And yes, I proudly admit that I made this awesome birthday crown out of construction paper and scotch tape. Had I been a little more prepared, I probably could have found sometime 100x cuter on ETSY, but this is what you get when you leave the details till the last minute. And the birthday hat was a must. Westin had requested it about a week ago. So, here you have it.


Before Ryan took off, Westin had already requested to open a birthday gift and eat "happy birtday cake." I was willing to oblige to the first request, but no matter how cool of a mom I claim to be, there was no way we were doing cake before 7 a.m. Had it been around 9 a.m., I might have budged, but it was 7, and I have an image to uphold.

However, thirty minutes later I was making chocolate chip pancakes. Not sure that's any better than cake, but at least it sounds like it's supposed to be for breakfast. W also got two of his other favorite breakfast foods, eggs and yogurt.

Later in the morning we met up with Westin's buddies, Nicholas and Eli, to watch the airplanes at LAX. After the planes, we headed to Cafe Rio for lunch where we were joined by Westin's other friend Jersey (and where all the CR employees sang "Happy Birthday" to W).




After Westin's nap, our friend Mykel stopped by with a little birthday gift.

The evening ended with "happy birtday cupcakes."

For not having much planned, I think we turned it into a very fun day for the birthday boy. Plus, we have so much more to come in terms of celebrating for W - Disneyland on Friday with friends, cake and ice cream with family on Saturday and then more family celebrations in Utah next week. Poor kid is totally going to be confused about his birthday. He'll not even think there's a date attached to it - he'll just say, "my birthday is December. All of it."

2 comments:

Bianca Martino said...

Courtney! I'm so excited to have stumbled across your blog in blogland. I've been loving reading all about your adventures with Westin. I'm due January 13 with a boy, Iit's been such a nice preview (and educational) to read all about Westin's first two years, I may have some questions for you once my boy is here! Sending Westin happy birthday wishes and wishing your family love and a happy holiday season!

Hugs,
Bianca

The Evers Family said...

Happy Birthday Westin! Can't wait to see you guys in a few days.