Seriously, what is it with car chases and California (LA, to be exact)? It's 11:30 p.m. and as I'm sitting here working I've noticed that a local car chase has taken up ALL of the 10 p.m. and 11 p.m. newscasts for two stations. That's 60 minutes of news time (well, not a full 60 minutes if you count in commercials...) that is being wasted on video of a car driving 40 miles per hour on the 405 with five cop cars and one helicopter following close behind. How can the GM at either station feel that this warrants that much air time? Do they think the chase is going to end any different than every other car chase we've seen? Cause if they do, I've got a newsflash... it WON'T. They all end the same: the car being chased runs out of gas, the assailant tries to run for dear life, and then the cops take him/her down within minutes. However, having worked at a station, I do know that people do watch this kind of crap and become glued to their TV screens waiting for the outcome. So I know that a producer can't not put this on their show. Thus, one of the many reasons I left.
Sorry for the soapbox... I couldn't resist.
Oh and just for the record, this is the SECOND car chase today.
February 9, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
I think of reasons why i'm glad i'm not in the news business anymore almost everyday. That is a great example though! I am totally feeling sorry for the poor associate producer who had the whole show written and ready to go just to have it all dropped for a guy who thinks maybe, just maybe he can outrun the law. Stupid people...
Ohhh I remember that. One time during the noon show in SLC, a car chase broke out in LA and we aired it past one o'clock. The people waiting for their soaps were so mad, but the rest of us loved to watch the chase -- slow as it was.
Post a Comment