Ryan, Westin and I are currently visiting Ryan's brother (Doug - the oldest of the Rich kids) and his family in San Francisco. While I'll be posting a more detailed report of the weekend at a later time, I felt this short story warranted an immediate post.
Yesterday I was watching my nephew, Grant (6), and niece, Delaney (4), while Jan (sister-in-law) ran some errands. Not long after Jan left it was time for me to feed Westin. So in order to get through the feeding without any interruptions, I got the kids started on some crafts. Silly me. Apparently learning about how babies get fed is WAY more entertaining than doing crafts.
The setting: the kids are at the kitchen table starting their crafts - I sit down on the couch and put on my nursing cover...
Grant: Aunt Courtney, what is that?
Me: It's my nursing cover.
Grant: What?
Me: It's so I can feed Westin.
Delaney: What do you feed him?
Me: Milk
Grant: How does he get the milk?
Me: Um... from me.
Grant: Like from a bottle?
Me: Um... no... um... I just give it to him.
Grant: How?
Me: Um... well, mommies make milk... err... um...
Grant: (Puzzled look)
Me: Have you ever seen a dog feed her puppies? (Wasn't really sure where I was going with this.)
Grant & Delaney: No.
Me: Um, ok. Nevermind.
Grant: So is Westin drinking right now?
Me: Yes
Grant: Can I see?
Me: NO! I like to keep it quiet so Westin can eat without getting distracted. (What am I saying?)
Grant: Ok. Delaney, Westin is drinking right now, let's go. (Thank heavens, it's over! Now I can let their parents finish answering these questions.)
I'm hoping this type of conversation will be a little easier when its with our own kids. I didn't really know where to go with this with someone else's kids.
Hope you got a good laugh. I know I did!
February 14, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
Hahaha that's so funny! And all of these pictures of Westin are so adorable! I can't wait to meet him in a few weeks! We get in to LA on March 9 and are there until the 23rd. Let me know when a good time to get together might be - i'm free during the day most of the time.
Love, Beth
That's hilarious!
Post a Comment