November 12, 2008

Child Birth 101 - Part 2: We survived the birthing video

Yesterday was Tuesday which meant night 2 of the birthing class. With Ryan working late again, Mandy was nice enough to risk any desire she may have of ever mothering a child to join me in class to watch birthing videos - yes, that was plural.

The night started with more chit chat as Penny, our teacher, went around the room and asked everyone how their week had been. I was excited to talk about the baby shower and announce that my due date had been moved up. However, there was this couple there that went before us and they were completely miserable. The woman mentioned that she had a baby shower over the weekend, but that she was totally against it and turned it in to a cocktail party with men and women. Ok - that's totally normal (not the attitude, but the mixed gender baby shower), especially since she was a little older. However, the way she talked about it was so depressing. At one point she said, "if there had been any games, I would have walked out." Way to kill the mood.

So when it got to us, Mandy was first and without hesitation said, "this weekend I threw Courtney a baby shower and it was AWESOME. If you had been to one like this, your opinion would totally change because it was pretty much amazing." As she said this, Mandy totally stared down the other woman's husband who ducked his head and tried not to look at her. It was classic! We showed them.

The rest of the class was actually pretty informative, as it focused mainly on different breathing techniques and positions that will help during the early and active stages of labor. There were also several videos to show us these techniques, all of which were from the 80's and reminded me of the sex ed videos we watched in middle school. Seriously people, it's been almost three decades since then... can no one produce an updated version of these things?

Oh and it was so funny because Penny gave Mandy her own handouts for everything (she gave the other couples just one to share). I think she could sense that this was new territory for Mandy.

During the final minutes of class we watched the actual births of three babies. For some reason, going in to this I had it in my mind that I was going to see something truly terrifying - something that would make me run from the room screaming. Fortunately for me (and especially Mandy) the videos were not nearly as horrific as I had pictured. It was probably a good thing I went in with the expectations I had - cause I definitely left feeling like maybe I can do this :)

Thanks again M for coming!!! Good times.

3 comments:

Megan said...

im so glad you liked this class better than the first, but it sounds like you have some interesting classmates there with you.

you will totally be able to deal with labor, you'll be great! hopefully ryan will be able to be there for the actual birth...maybe mandy should look over the class notes just in case she is needed at the hospital : )

Jason and Tawni said...

Oh thank the heavens above that Mandy was there for you during your class. She is truly an amazing person and she totally qualifies as your #2 ...(no need to explain who your #1 is right?) I am also happy to hear that the videos weren't as traumatizing as you expected, that is good news. I can't believe you only have 3 weeks left, does it feel like forever or a short amount of time? Love you tons!

Krissy said...

I can't believe how close it's getting... yeaaaaa! So, have you already started taking leave? Well I hope you guys are doing well, I totally need to call you sometime! It feels like forever since we saw you about a month ago... Good Luck and can't wait to read more! Oh yeah, I am glad you said those videos weren't horrible, because I don't know whenever I get pregnant if I could have stomached it... haha I know right, but from what you said I think I will. Good to know :) Have a fabulous day!