Ryan and I are planning a trip to New York this summer and would love to get your ideas about things to do while we're there. We'll be staying with Ryan's brother in Manhattan, so we'll have easy access to everything (thanks, Trevor!). So far we're planning on attending a Yankees/Red Socks game, visiting Ellis Island (Ryan's never been), seeing a broadway show (either Jersey Boys or Wicked), and touring Central Park (neither one of us has done that). We also went to New York for a few days during Thanksgiving a couple years ago and did a few things like visit Wall Street, saw all the decorated store windows, shopped in Soho (I will definitely be repeating this activity in the upcoming trip), went to Grand Central Station, and went to the top of the Empire State Building.
So other than the things I mentioned above, I haven't really nailed down other activities/sites that I feel are a must. This is where you come in - I know a lot of you have either visited New York, lived there, or are currently living there and probably have some great ideas for us. A couple things I am mulling over - going to the Stock Exchange (think it would be cool to see all that action first hand) and visiting Rockefeller Center (do they do tours there?). Are those even worth visiting?
What else? Restaurants? Sites? Events? Please feel free to share your thoughts and suggestions - and emphasize what you think are must see/do things. (Don't you love that I'm giving directions on how I want you to respond - haha)
Thanks for your help!
March 18, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

8 comments:
Eat at Cowgirl in the west village - best baked mac and cheese EVER, and it's just a fun place to go. Ooooo and the black-eyed pea salsa they give you for free is to DIE for!
www.cowgirlnyc.com
Love, Beth
p.s. I can't believe you're going to be on my coast when i'm on your coast! What is up with that?!
I'm recommending a frozen hot chocolate at Serendipity. It's on my list for when I eventually get there...and hopefully eventually isn't very far.
Wicked is a little more serious but fabulous and I hear Jersey Boys is just a kick. I have also heard very good things about some of the off-broadway plays going on that you can get cheap tickets to. Will find out actually names for you and pass them along!
Court...I will probably be living there by then. Please tell me we will see each other. Especially if I can't come to the blessing.
Of course, Kristine Elaine!
Since I know how much you'll value our opinion...Taylor and I loved (LOVED!) a walking food tour of Greenwich Village. Not only was there awesome food involved, but you got to walk around this cool part of town and have a local tell you all the stories behind the buildings and stuff off the beaten path. The groups are small - less than 20 people. I didn't feel like a weirdo tourist too much, and we had a blast.
http://www.zerve.com/FoodTours/GVTour
And Central Park is the best thing about NYC. Rent a paddle boat and eat a hot dog and throw a frisbee. Too fun!
If you don't go to Magnolia Bakery you will regret it. Get several cupcakes, but MAKE SURE you get a white cupcake with white frosting. I don't care if you like chocolate better. Just do it, trust me. Magnolia has 2 locations-- one in the Village (I think about 11th and Bleeker... this one will have at least a half hour line but it's teeny and charming) and one on the Upper West Side at about 69th and Columbus (brand new, bigger, and no line). The cupcakes taste the same at both locales. Yes I've taste tested. Seriously, make a trip.... then thank me for changing your life!
OH PS I'll totally be working in Manhattan this summer. Let's discuss!!!
I can't believe stephanie left out some of the awesome stuff we did. Some of our favorite restaurants are Sarabeth's for brunch (tamara's not mine), rice to riches (it doesn't sound awesome but it is). For stuff to do there's a guitar guy http://www.thatguitarman.com/ who plays down in chelsea on friday nighs which is always good.
Post a Comment