Since we signed W up for baseball, he's asked almost everyday when the season starts. When we finally got the schedule, the first thing out of his mouth each morning was, "is today my practice?" or "is today my game?". I was so relieved when I could finally say "yes" and watch his face light up with pure joy and excitement.
Game face on and ready for his very first practice.
The first practice was mainly about the rules and getting uniforms (which the kids loved). They had a little time to practice hitting and running the bases.
W was one of the first to request his jersey number. He went right up to coach and said, "I want number 12." I'm pretty sure he had no idea, but W actually selected my high school basketball number. Made for a very proud mother.
We have since switched jerseys for number 1 because number 12 was huge. Who knew the higher the number, the larger the jersey size?
First at bat... and looks pretty darn good, if you ask me!
After practice, game day couldn't come soon enough. Saturday hit and this kid was in his jersey hours before the game. And totally his idea to wear the socks over his pants.
This first game was a riot. I don't think I've ever laughed so hard in my life. Since we didn't get a chance to go over positions in practice, the kids just went were they wanted and everyone would run after the ball as soon as it hit the field.
This is Westin at bat for the first time in the game. He hit it toward second, and though it was stopped, W ran all the bases and declared a homerun! I loved it. And loved his reaction afterwards even more. He crossed home plate, looked at me, raised his arms in the air and said, "Homerun! I did it! See mom, I told you I'd hit a homerun!"
We've had another practice and another game, and the kids are starting to put things together more. In the second game, they actually played positions and stayed relatively close to their position even when the ball was going somewhere else.
It's going to be a great season of baseball!











1 comment:
so cute! i wish i could come see him play!
Post a Comment