March 19, 2013

Smiles All Around

Sometimes it just the little, simple things that make life so enjoyable. I feel like that's been the case the past week with some of the things we've been up to. I was looking at these pictures last night, smiling at the fun we had doing nothing more than spending time with friends and family.

We had a friend from preschool come over for a playdate. It was a total boys' afternoon with superheroes and sports.

I'm not one to go big on St. Patrick's Day, but we did decorate some cookies.
By the way, next time you make vanilla frosting, try using vanilla paste instead of vanilla extract. It's life changing.

Saturday we drove over to Dublin to check out some golf clubs for the boys. This store is one of Westin's favorite places to visit because there is a driving range and a putting green. On this particular day, he told us, "I'm going to check out the irons today. Next time I'll look at the drivers."
I think it's time he gets his own set.

Of course, there was also baseball on Saturday. Westin informed us after the game that his team lost 70-9. (Keep in mind no one keeps score... except for Westin).

Saturday night we spent some time with our friends the Pettingills, just hanging out and ordering in. 

The second (and last) thing I did for St. Patty's Day was a green breakfast (and I promise that milk was actually green, not blue.)
Since Sunday, Westin has been requesting different colored pancakes. Yesterday he wanted yellow, today he's asking for blue... hope this doesn't last forever.

For dessert on Sunday evening, I made David Rocco's Apple Yogurt Cake and fell in love. It's simple and absolutely delicious. The smell reminds me of fall more than spring, but who really cares when it tastes so good, right? With extra sugar on top, the cake gets a nice crispy texture.

The weather has also been really nice around here, so we took advantage of it and went for a family walk, with a stop to kick the ball around.

It was back to work and school on Monday, with an afternoon of feeding the ducks with Jan, Emery and their friend Cooper over in Danville. 

Ducks were followed by books at our library, where Westin quickly found his favorite reading nook by the window. Took 8 home - love that he loves reading!

And there's no chance of going to the library without stopping by the neighboring park, where Westin decided he was king of the rock.

No comments: