October 12, 2010

Fall Cooking: Part 2

I tried a couple new recipes last week. The first was this Pumpkin Cake with Butterscotch-Pecan Filing and Brown Sugar Frosting. I actually made it twice. The first time was a test run to see if it would be worthy of taking to Sunday family dinner. So worth it (in my opinion, of course). I love anything with pumpkin flavoring. Give it a little brown sugar frosting and I'm in heaven. This cake actually reminds me of the flavors from my favorite fall cookie, The Great Pumpkin Cookie with a Brown Sugar Glaze. That recipe I'll save for another time. For now, here's a look at how the cake turned out and the recipe.


Note about the brown sugar frosting: I ended up adding about 1-1 1/2 cups powdered sugar (sifted). Both times I made it, I couldn't get a good frosting consistency without the extra powdered sugar.

The second recipe I tried was courtesy of The Great American Test Kitchen. It's not really Fall-inspired, but I needed something a little more healthy to balance out all the sugar I was consuming while baking all week.

Chicken with Israeli Couscous, Spinach and Feta

¼ c. unbleached all-purpose flour
2 (6-8 oz) boneless, skinless chicken breast, trimmed
Salt and pepper
3 Tbsp. olive oil
¾ c. Israeli couscous
1 shallot, minced (about 3 T)
3 garlic cloves, minced (about 3 tsp.)
½ tsp. grated lemon zest
2 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
¼ tsp. red pepper flakes
1 ¾ c. low-sodium chicken broth
6 oz. baby spinach (about 6 cups)
2 oz. feta cheese, crumbled (about ½ c.) - (I used fat-free from Trader Joe's)
I also added some cherry tomatoes at the same time I added the feta cheese at the end.
Place the flour in a shallow dish. Pat the chicken dry with paper towels and season with salt and pepper. Working with one breast at a time, dredge the chicken in the flour, shaking off the excess.


Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a non-stick skillet over medium-high heat until just smoking. Carefully lay the chicken breast in the skillet and cook until well browned on the first side, 6 to 8 minutes. Flip the chicken, reduce the heat to medium and continue to cook until the thickest part of the breast registers 160 degrees on an instant read thermometer, 6 to 8 minutes longer. Transfer chicken to a plate, tent loosely with foil and let rest in the warm oven while preparing the couscous.


Wipe out the skillet with a wad of paper towels. Add 1 tablespoon more oil and the couscous to the skillet and toast over medium heat until light golden, about 2 minutes. Stir in the shallot, 2 tsp of the garlic, ¼ teaspoon of the lemon zest, and 1/8 teaspoon of the pepper flakes and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.

Stir in the broth to a simmer, then reduce the heat to medium-low and cook, stirring often, until the liquid is absorbed and the couscous is al dente, 8 to 10 minutes.


Meanwhile, whisk 1 tablespoon of the lemon juice, remaining 1 tablespoon oil, remaining 1 tsp garlic, remaining ¼ tsp lemon zest and remaining 1/8 tsp pepper flakes together in a small bowl.


Stir the spinach, one handful at a time into the skillet and cook until wilted, about 5 minutes. Off the heat, stir in the feta and remaining 1 tablespoon lemon juice and season with salt and pepper to taste. Divide the couscous between two plates and top with the chicken. Drizzle with the lemon juice mixture and serve.

No comments: