June 9, 2010

Housewife or Mom?

While waiting around for my kickboxing class to start at the gym this morning, a woman approached me and asked if I had a baby (I'm guessing she saw me take W into kids club). Here's how this conversation went:

Me: Yes (in response to the question above)
Her: How old?
Me: 18 months
Her: Oh, how nice. What do you do with him when you're not at the gym? (BTW - I'm at the gym only up to an hour a day... her tone made it seem like I was there all day and just stuck him in kids club for hours)
Me: What do you mean?
Her: Do you take him to daycare during the day?
Me: No, I'm home with him the majority of the time. I do some freelance work, but I mainly get to stay home with him.
Her: Oh, so you're a housewife (said in a somewhat snarky tone)
Me: Um, yeah, I'm a MOM
Her: Well, that's nice (again, snarky tone)

Who the heck was this lady? The conversation wouldn't have at all bugged me except she used the term, "housewife." I just can't help but think of the Housewives series on TV when I hear that term, and it just has a negative connotation in my mind. I'm not one of them. Yes, I stay at home which means maybe technically I am a "housewife" (gag as I use the term), but housewife is NOT my title. I'm a mom! That's my title and I LOVE it. Don't try calling me anything else.

I dont know, am I way off base for feeling somewhat offended by the term "housewife"?

4 comments:

steph said...

I think it's her tone is what's offensive. Since when did raising and nurturing your children become a bad thing? Whatever. She obviously doesn't know what she's missing out on -- she doesn't have sweet little Westin!

Megan said...

ugh. i totally feel you on this one. any time someone talks about staying home with your kids in a belittling way drives me crazy. oh well, at least we know how great it is (well, the majority of the time : ) )!

Brian, Emily, Charlie, and Lucy said...

Eeeeww. What a rude stranger.
I'm totally onboard with not liking the term "housewife" - to me, it says "I'm married to my house and to all of the work that goes with it". Thanks, but no thanks. While the job of being a stay-at-home mom does entail housework, it is NOT the majority of our jobs. I'm with you -- we are moms. (and totally awesome ones, at that!)

Beth said...

hahaha i love you so much after reading this! I think being a mom is an AWESOME job! (Not from personal experience yet, but you know what i mean!)