September 14, 2008

Football and Strollers

It was a busy weekend for Ryan and me. After work Friday night, Ryan headed to the airport to go to Utah for the BYU v. UCLA game. He got in late and met up with his brothers Doug and Trevor, and his brother-in-law Brian. Saturday was of course devoted to football. I was getting text updates throughout the game and heard how much of a beat down the game turned out to be. The final score was 59-0, BYU!!! I was hoping and expecting BYU to win, but I didn't expect that turn out. Ryan said that even though UCLA didn't put up much of a fight, it was still a really exciting game to watch. I wish I had some pictures to post of the guys, but do you really think any of them took pictures on their own?

While Ryan was enjoying a boys' weekend, I spent the weekend at my mom's house. Friday night I watched Kenzie play in a pre-season tennis match at her high school. This was actually the first time I was able to watch her play, and it was really fun for me. She and her partner won their doubles match 6-0. I didn't want to embarrass her too much, so I refrained from going right up to the fence to take pictures. Instead, I tried to be the "cool" sister and just took a couple quick snapshots from my seat. Here's Kenzie serving.
After the tennis match, Kenzie headed off to a party and I had dinner with my mom and Torsten at one of their favorite Italian restaurants. It was a nice way to end the work week.

Saturday was a big day for me too - it was stroller shopping day!!! Kenzie and I met up with my dad and Loni for lunch and some quick clothes shopping before heading over to Babies R' Us. I did a ton of research about strollers online, but needed to test drive a couple before making my final decision. And good thing I did, I actually decided on one that I had not originally planned on getting, but am so happy about it!

I had looked at the Perego Pliko, but decided against it after we struggled to open and close it (here's my dad trying to figure it out.) I also thought it was pretty hard to get to the basket underneath. So NO on the Perego.

After test driving a few others (actually, just about every other stroller in the store), I decided to go with a Chicco. I knew their infant car seats got excellent ratings, and really loved the stroller. Once we decided on this one (below), my dad followed us around the rest of the store pushing the stroller as if there was a baby inside. It was actually very cute and I could tell he was enjoying the practice.
The excitement and joy of being in a giant baby store like this is equivalent to being in Nordstrom or Bloomingdales, or for a guy, it's like being in a sporting goods store like Nike Town. It's just Heaven! We looked at just about everything, but had to make a pit stop at the gliders... It was so fun to go through the store and look at everything - it really got me so excited (not that I wasn't before this). And actually purchasing one of the big baby items like the stroller was very exciting, as it makes it all the more real. Thanks dad and Loni!

Next on the list was the crib, which my mom and I actually picked out this weekend too (but I forgot to get a picture). After this big day of shopping, Kenzie, my mom, Torsten, and I went to see The Women (Torsten was being a good sport). It wasn't the best chick flick of all times, but definitely had its moments and it was just so nice to sit down and relax after being up on our feet the whole day. Thanks mom!

5 comments:

Greg and Sariah said...

Go BYU!!! This was a great blog. I loved reading about your shopping trip but the pics are priceless. Your family is so fun to be around. I wish I was there to enjoy the first time baby experience for the Carlston family. Sooo exciting!!!

Greg and Sariah said...

Oh and things have already changed in the 3 years ago I had a baby. There was no chicco or pegero carseats. Mine is Eddie Bauer and I love it, but they don't make them anymore. Kudos to you for doing research! I love reading peoples reviews online about strollers.

EXAMPLE REVIEW: I hate this stroller. The wheel fell off in the middle of the mall.

EXAMPLE REVIEW 2 ON SAME EXACT STROLLER: I love this stroller. Best purchase ever made.

April said...

We have that exact same stroller/car seat and LOVE it! What a good purchase- great minds think alike! :) You look great and it looks like your whole family had a blast at Babies R Us! How fun...I can't wait to see the crib.

Beth said...

You are the cutest pregnant person EVER! And I adore your family! They are so cute! It was so great seeing you all in July.

I can't remember if I told you, but Brian and I are starting another tour - "Grease" - in November. We'll be back in LA in March so I can see your little guy! So exciting!

Love you lots!

tracie said...

I have the same carseat and I love, love, love it. Great buy!