June 23, 2012

In the Words of Westin

There's never a dull moment with a kid who has as much to say as Westin does...


We started saying some goodbyes, and on one particular occasion I, of course, started crying. Westin asked why and I said I was sad to leave my friends. His reply, "it's ok mom, we will make new friends." Gotta love the optimism of a three-year-old.


Westin: "Mom, how did Jimmer get to play on the Cougars?" Me: "He practiced a lot when he was growing up and got really good, and when he was old enough, they asked him to play for their team." Westin: "Well I've been practicing and I'm really good and they haven't asked me to play for them yet.


One day Westin asked me for Ryan's 7-iron. I grabbed a golf club at random, handed it to Westin and he said, "that's not a 7- iron. It's a 5-iron. I want the 7-iron." I then gave him the right golf club and after looking at it for a couple minutes he said, "I don't want this one. It's not going to work. I need the driver."

Westin has also been spreading rumors that I'm pregnant (which is not true). The other day my friend came up to me and said, "so Westin told me something interesting." Of course I panicked, and tried to think of anything incriminating I had said or done around him lately. She then said, "he said that his mommy has a baby in her belly... and that it's coming out in eight hours." Lovely... now I know why people are staring at my stomach. Apparently it's not because I have killer abs. 

The other day while Ryan was doing a workout at home, Westin inquired about a particular ab exercise he was doing. I told Westin it was to make his (Ryan's, that is) abs strong. Westin then said, "My abs are awesome!"

He also now uses the word, "awesomer" to describe just about anything he doesn't use "awesome" for.

Another personal favorite - when Westin gets excited about something, he'll say, in a very dramatic voice, "oh my gosh!"

Other happenings...
He tried to cut his own hair
He scored three holes-in-one at the mini golf course with grandpa
He got his first bee sting
He's convinced he's old enough and good enough to play professional sports
He typically plays baseball or golf (or both) every day - obsessed would be an understatement
He's deep in the "why" phase - and it's slowing killing me
About once a day, while we're driving, Westin will tell me he sees Switzerland or San Francisco
He asks for eggs for breakfast just about every day because he simply wants to crack them
He knows the names and numbers for about five of the Los Angeles Dodgers... and will call out their names/numbers like he's Vin Scully


I just can't help but smile around this kid...




2 comments:

Kacey Nielsen said...

haha!

Kid's overconfidence is about my favorite thing in the world. Scarlet tells me all the time she is already a professional ballerina.

I do not put up with the why phase. I say, "Get your backpack", they say "why?". And I always reply with, "the answer is yes, mom." If an explanation is needed, it happens after the task is done. It has really kept me sane!

BreAnne Kavanagh said...

What a stud. We've got to figure out a time to see you one last time!