May 6, 2012

Westin's First Primary Program

Last week was our ward's primary program. For those of you who don't know what this is, the primary program is an annual event at church where the primary children (ages 11 and younger) have the opportunity to share what they've been learning through talks and songs during our sacrament meeting in front of the entire ward. As part of the program, Westin had two parts. His first line was about his favorite prophet and then he gave a short, two-minute talk about how he knows Jesus Christ loves him.

Here's how it went:

He delivered his first line perfectly, "My favorite prophet is Daniel because he kept the commandments and was brave in the lion's den." What I loved about this is that Westin chose Daniel as his favorite prophet and told us exactly what he wanted to say - it was all him.

He then had his short talk a little later in the program. One of the primary leaders would whisper into his ear and Westin repeated it into the microphone. He was doing such a great job... and then I noticed it... the potty dance legs. I was sitting right behind him on the stand. I knew exactly what that meant. I sat there saying to myself, "Hold it, hold it, hold it! You've just got a couple more lines." But apparently, my telepathic ability is not as strong as I hoped. Two lines away from being done and in panic, W turns to me and says, "Mom, I've gotta go to the bathroom now!" Of course everyone heard him and had a good laugh. The kicker, as I scooped him up, he turns back and says, "I'll finish when I get back!" 

There are many more primary programs to come, but this one will definitely be one of the more memorable ones.

No comments: