November 17, 2010

Who is Winnie?

This morning while I was packing for my business trip, I heard Westin playing in the family room. I peaked out my door. He was playing with his blocks. As I listened to him, I couldn't help but smile. I think I heard the very first conversation between Westin and an imaginary friend. I can't be a hundred percent sure, but I think the new friend's name is, Winnie. At least that's what it sounded like to me. W would say a few things here and there that I couldn't quite make out from my bedroom, but every now and then I could clearly hear him say things as if talking to someone, and each sentence would end with, "Winnie." Now that it's 11 p.m. and I've been on a plane all day, I can't quite remember what his exact words were, but it went something like this: "Here da' block, Winnie." "Buid da' block, Winnie."

I'll try to listen for more of these conversations. Hopefully Winnie will be with us a for a little while. I love when kids have imaginary friends. It makes me smile.

I also can't help but smile as I think about how blessed I am to witness these little tender moments. I'm so lucky to be a mom. I'm so lucky to be Westin's mom. He has so much energy and life in his little toddler body. It amazes me.

A few other notable moments in our life with Westin that make Ryan and me smile...
-When Westin runs, which is still all the time, he says, "Westin go superfast!"
-It's impossible for him to walk off a curb. He HAS to jump. He loves to jump.
-As we walk up the three flights of stairs to our apartment, Westin will often wait for me to get ahead and look back down at him. At which point, he looks at me with a big grin and says, "Hi, Mommy! Hi!"
-When we are in the elevator, he quickly presses the button to our destination and then puts his finger over the alarm button and says, "But not the alarm. No, No."
-He still runs to our bedroom window every morning to see the garbage man. I wonder if the garbage man has taken notice of him.
-Westin has started saying, "Bye mom, see ya later" at random moments in the day.
-In the morning, Westin runs to the door as Ryan is about to walk out for school and asks for "kisses."

-Westin has started saying his own prayers. This morning as we were saying family prayer and I was helping W, he apparently thought I was going on too long and finally just said, "Amen," in the middle of the sentence I was trying to get him to say.

He'll be two in just a few weeks. I can't believe it. It's been two of the best years of my life.

3 comments:

Kacey Nielsen said...

Almost two? Making up imaginary playmates? That kid needs a sibling!

just sayin... :)

Courtney said...

You make me laugh, K.

The Evers Family said...

Can you believe our babies are going to be two. It went way too fast.