September 17, 2010

Disneyland, Noah's Ark & a Safari

Ryan has officially started school again and so far, so good. Though it's only orientation, there's been a bit of homework, some workshops, speakers, and even a test, but for the most part, I think there's been a lot of fun (ropes course, section competitions, happy hours, etc.). Even with a few late nights of homework, I think Ryan is really enjoying this new life.

Meanwhile, Westin and I have been staying busy as usual. This week we went to Disneyland, watched the airplanes at SM airport (twice), went to the Noah's Ark exhibit at the Skirball Museum, and enjoyed a safari-themed birthday party.

Unfortunately, our Disneyland trip wasn't the most successful. It was pretty hot and actually crowded (Where did all the people come from? Haven't kids started school?). We did Small World twice, then the Tea Cups (everything was good at this point), and then stood in line for Dumbo for 20+ minutes and things started to fall apart. Westin wanted me to hold him the whole time, and whined the whole time we were in line. Those 20 minutes felt like forever. I think the heat was getting to him. We finally got on the ride, he enjoyed it, and then immediately fell asleep in his stroller on the way to Toon Town. He got in a little power nap, but was still grumpy when he woke up. So we went over to Mickey's Playhouse in hopes of cooling down a bit, but Westin was still a little off. Finally, we headed back to the car where Westin threw up just as I was getting him in his seat. Poor guy. Not sure if it was something he ate or the heat or maybe a combo. He was fine the rest of the day... after we left, of course.

So here's the one picture I got of Westin and Audrey enjoying life after Small World

We also went to the Noah's Ark exhibit at the Skirball Museum with Bonnie and Audrey. It's pretty hard to get tickets, so when we got the invite, there wasn't a chance I'd say "no." The exhibit is really cool - totally 100% kid-friendly. They can touch and play with anything.

A look outside the ark
Westin playing with the miniature animals. The giraffe was his favorite.

Doing some arts and crafts with Bonnie and Audrey

Climbing up into the ark


We ended the week with a very fun birthday party for Westin's buddy, Nate, who turned 3. Nate loves animals, so Taryn did a Safari theme, and to say it was SO DANG CUTE is a complete understatement. Everything was perfection. (Pretty sure I'm having Taryn and her mom plan Westin's next party)
-
A few of the decorations and treats



In the backyard, the kids enjoyed jumping around in the bouncy house.

And then went on a safari looking for animals hiding in the grass

Being a good sport and wearing his giraffe hat

The birthday boy blowing out his three candles

The kids enjoying their cupcakes
Yes, that's my shirtless little boy who refused to wear a bib, so to save another shirt from getting destroyed, I just took it off. Plus, we really need to even out that farmer's tan ;)

Toward the end of the party, Westin discovered this skateboard. Don't ask me where he learned what a skateboard is or how to ride one, because I have NO clue. However, he does know what it is and apparently knows how to ride it too.

Of course, he didn't really ride it, but he knew that one foot goes on top and that he needs to push off with the other. It must have something to do with the grey skinny jeans he was wearing... that skater mentality just kicks in naturally.

1 comment:

The Evers Family said...

What a cute birthday party. Remember what they did, I may need to ask you about the games and stuff. It looked super fun!