Here in "the Village" (the nickname of our apartment complex community), we started our day with the fire alarm going off throughout the building at 4:45 a.m. Lucky us, huh?
We spent the first few minutes checking all of our alarms making sure we didn't set it off somehow. We didn't. Phew. Then we checked outside and people were starting to leave the building. Ugh. We decided we better get out too, just in case. So I went in to grab Westin, totally surprised he wasn't already crying in utter pain from the piercing alarm that probably ruined his hearing for the rest of his life. To my further surprise, he was still sound asleep. I was seriously stunned. There was really no way you could sleep through this alarm. It was the most annoying alarm ever. Unfortunately, we had to wake him up and leave the apartment with the masses. Of course, he was stoked to get up and go outside. Forget the fire or carbon monoxide poisoning... now my 20 month old was up at 5 a.m. with no sign of wanting to go back to sleep.
After waiting about 20 minutes, with no sign of smoke coming from the building... and no sign of a fire truck coming our way, we realized there was no fire. Ok, good. But what about carbon monoxide? Still not sure. Eventually a UCLA on-call maintenance person showed up and I think he just turned off the alarm with a key. So we're not sure what set it off, but were happy to head back inside around 5:15.
The good news, Westin went back to sleep and is still snoozing.
August 24, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
brutal. what a happy surprise that W went back to sleep! I don't think I would have had that luck with C. A little silver lining for you! :>)
Post a Comment