August 17, 2010

The Diet

Upon returning from our vacation (and three week eating binge), Ryan and I immediately started a new diet and exercise routine. We have both set some personal goals and are really excited about achieving them in the next couple of months. The workouts are intense (P90X) but the diet is simple - we're just calorie counting. We both have a certain number of calories we can have each day, and I've been creating weekly menus showing the calorie count of each meal and snack we get to have. (This shows the total nerd in me - I love putting the meal plan together and researching new recipes and menu ideas).

We're only a week and a half in, but things are going really well so far. I've tried a new recipe almost every night (well, I cook five nights, we get to eat out one night, and we usually do family dinner on Sundays). Anyway, as we forge on with our journey of healthy living, I'll be sure to include some of my new favorite, healthy recipes.

Here's a couple to start you off with (my additonal notes are in orange):

Chicken Orzo Salad with Goat Cheese
(Cooking Light - thanks, Jan, for introducing me to this one. I love it!)

Yields: 6 servings (serving size: 1 1/3 cups salad and 1 tbsp. goat cheese)

1 1/4 cups uncooked orzo
3 cups chopped grilled chicken breast
1 1/2 cups trimmed arugula
1 cup grape tomatoes, halved
1/2 cup chopped red bell pepper (I also added some yellow bell pepper because I had an extra)
1/4 cup prechopped red onion
2 tbsp. chopped fresh basil
1 tsp. chopped fresh oregano
2 tbsp. red wine vinegar
1 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
1/8 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. black pepper
6 tbsp. crumbled goat cheese (I got my from Trader Joe's and it had a honey flavoring to it. You've got to try it. It was SO good)

I also added some beets to the ingredient list. I love beets with goat cheese.

1.) Cook pasta according to the package directions, omitting salt and fat (if called for). Drain well.
2.) Combine pasta, chicken, and the next six ingredients in a large bowl. Toss.
3.) Combine vinegar, oil, salt, and black pepper in a small bowl, stirring with a whisk. (I doubled all the ingredients for the dressing because I thought it was a little too dry still without the extra bit). Drizzle mixture over pasta mixture and toss well to coat.
4.) Sprinkle with cheese. (I measured 1 tbsp. of cheese for each of our plates and didn't crumble it on top until I had dished up the salad... just to be sure we got the right serving size).

Calories: 295


Ryan and I both have a major sweet tooth, so there's no way I can completely deprive either one of us of something sweet now and then. I love all the different Skinny Cow products (usually 80-160 calories, depending on what you get). When we get bored with those, our new favorite treat is a slimmed down version of Serendipitiy's Frozen Hot Chocolate. This version is just 150 calories and virtually has no fat.

Low Cal Frozen Hot Chocolate

1/2 cup chocolate syrup (or you can make your own healtier version from agave nectar and cocoa powder. Just use one part cocoa powder to two parts agave nectar and blend. I promise this tastes just as good.)
1 cup fat-free evaporated milk
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
3 cups ice cubes

Garnish: reduced fat whipped topping and/or dark chocolate shavings

1. Combine chocolate syrup, evaporated milk, vanilla, and ice in a blender until smooth.
2. Pour into glasses. Garnish with a dollop of whipped topping and/or sprinkling of chocolate shavings.

This recipe didn't say what the serving size was for this, so I did a little over a cup for each of us.

Ok, so see what you think of those. As I come across more favorites, I will definitely let you know.

1 comment:

Marie Davies Howick said...

WHOA Brandon and I started P90X at almost the exact same time you guys did. Love that. The biggest difference being, he is not lucky enough to have a wife who cooks 5 times a week and instead has one who gets home from a late night of work, says, ugh I'm starving, which of our takeout places has something on the menu that is P90X worthy... tell the delivery guy if he makes it snappy we'll give him an extra 5 bucks. For real though, keep posting recipes!