May 12, 2010

A Day at the Farm

Earlier this week we joined some friends at the Underwood Family Farms in Moorpark. We had only been once before, but didn't get a chance to pick our own produce. So this time around, we made sure to get out in the fields for some fresh strawberries.

Piled in the wagon and ready to go

Having fun on the wooden train

Strongman Westin pulling his little buddy Nate around the park. What a good friend!

While walking out to the strawberry field (which happened to be the FURTHEST field from where we started), Westin found himself a mud puddle and slid right in to it before I could stop him. His shoes and pants were caked with mud. Lovely. Well, I certainly wasn't going to carry him before the mud dried up... so, we rolled up his pants and he took a solo trip in the wagon the rest of the way to the strawberries.
The walk may have been long and a little dirty, but it was SO worth every step. The strawberries were AMAZING. Seriously, I've never had such amazing strawberries. There's not even another word to describe them. They were just the most amazing strawberries, EVER!
-
Westin and me picking strawberries
W picking his first strawberry
Westin eating his first fresh strawberry - straight from the ground
and eating another

and another...
Don't worry, I had them round to the nearest pound when we paid...
-
The one problem with picking strawberries for $1.99/lb., you can get a little crazy and walk away with way more than you intended to get (or maybe that was just me). It was like an Easter egg hunt for adults (again, that might have just been my feeling). I'd start to walk back to the wagon, when all of a sudden, out of the corner of my eye, I'd see a flash of bright red glistening from under a green leaf. I had to have it - because, at that moment, it was the best looking strawberry I'd seen all morning. Only problem... this happened to be like a dozen times... and then 5 lbs. of strawberries later... I finally cut myself off. It wasn't easy.
-
With a strawberry in each hand, it was time to head back for our picnic lunch

Some very happy boys

Mommas Boys
BreAnne & Nate, Westin & me, Kristen & Jackson, Nina & Landon
We had such a fun day at the farm with the boys. I'm already looking forward to going back.

1 comment:

Trisha B said...

That looks like so much fun! How do I get invited to these fun days?!