June 7, 2009

Sleepless Nights

For some reason, I had it in my head that nights with a baby would get easier as he/she got older. That's actually probably how it's SUPPOSED to be, but not in our case. The last two weeks have consisted of Westin getting up every two hours at night... sometimes even more frequently. I continue to blame it on teething and really hope that it's the teeth and not some bad pattern we're falling into permanently or some bad mommy mistake I've already made in the six months I've held this position.

In case you've lost track, Westin is getting his SIXTH and SEVENTH teeth at the moment (and he's only 6 months - tomorrow). The poor little guy. I feel so bad (for him and me). His bottom three teeth started coming in around 4.5 months. Those ones didn't seem to cause too much of a problem. Then he got two more on the top (the ones next to the two front teeth) and those ones weren't too bad either. Now we're on to the two front teeth on top and it's been a nightmare. They're taking a lot longer to break through this time. During the day he has been doing pretty well, but at night it's a whole other story. He just can't seem to get comfortable - especially the last couple of nights. We put him down around 7:30 and he's been waking up like every 45 minutes until we feed him one last time at 10:30. Then after that he's been doing every 2 hours. I'M SO TIRED!!!

I unfortunately (or maybe fortunately) have to go out of town two nights this week and my mom will be stuck with the sleepless nights (sorry mom). I just feel horrible because I don't know what to do. Right before these two new teeth starting coming in, Ryan and I had planned on letting Westin "cry-it-out" at night to get him to sleep through the night. But now I can't bare to let him just cry when I don't know if it's the teeth bothering him or not (I also believe all the books say you shouldn't do this method when the baby is teething - so that kind of makes me feel better).

Anyway... I'll leave it at that. I'm just tired and hope I can figure out how to help W feel better and get a good night's sleep.

So on to a new week - Westin's got his 6th month appointment tomorrow, we'll be starting him on solids, I'm headed back to Nashville for a day, and the Lakers are on the road to a championship.

5 comments:

BreAnne Kavanagh said...

Dang, just when he was starting to get the hang of sleeping longer at night...he starts teething:) We missed you guys this weekend!

Kacey Nielsen said...

Solid foods will probably help him sleep longer because he will be more full. Rhode is having very similar issues, infant tylenol has helped a lot! Good luck!

Trisha B said...

Teething is not fun. Have you tried Hyland's Homeopathic teething tablets. They work wonders!

Megan said...

that stinks so bad courtney! that is no good at all. hopefully you are able to get a good nap in during the day. i have heard from a lot of people that teething tablets are the absolute best for teething. tylenol was always good for us, but i have the tablets somewhere that i can give you. just let me know and good luck!

Krissy said...

I'm sorry to hear about Westin's teething... but when I was at my shower, one of my friends mentioned that you can use these teething mesh bags. She said that you could put like frozen fruit in it and they can just suck on it since it's frozen it makes their gums feel better. I think this is a link to what she was talking about... http://www.sassybaby.com/category?cattype=category&catid=29&productid=68&product=Teething%20Feeder Hope this helps.