December 9, 2008

Westin is Here!!!

Ok, hoping that I actually finish the post this time before Westin gets up... here we go.

It's been a whirlwind week so far, but Westin Cannon Rich has finally joined our family and Ryan and I couldn't be more excited - of course. Here's how it all went down:

Monday morning Ryan and I went in for my weekly appointment. Being past my due date, the doctor monitored Westin's heart rate, checked the amniotic fluids and did an ultrasound. Everything looked really great until we realized that Westin was not in the right position to come out on his own. Instead of being head down, he had his head slightly to the side of my uterus - in a vertical position. Because of his size (which actually didn't turn out to be big at all) and the lack of fluids around him, the doctor felt that even if we waited another week he wasn't going to be able to move to the right position on his own and the best way to deliver would be by C-Section.


So the doctor called over to the hospital and set up the surgery for 5 p.m. that afternoon. Ryan and I headed home, got our things together, invited my dad over to help Ryan administer a blessing to me and then we were on our way back to the hospital.



On our way...

The surgery didn't get going until 6 p.m., but once it got rolling, it happened fast. I was getting the epidural by 6:15, they started the incision at 6:33, Westin was out by 6:41 and I was sown up and out by 7:10.


Westin's first picture

Unfortunately, Westin was having a little problem breathing when he came out, so he was admitted to the NICU to get some help with the transition. Of course I wanted him to be taken care of, but I was a little sad that I was only able to give him a kiss on the cheek before they took him away. Ryan went straight to the NICU with him as the doctors finished stiching me up and getting me back to the recovery room.
Waiting patiently for us in the waiting room was my mom, Kenzie, Mandy, my dad, Loni, Cole, Rick, Connie and Camille. Apparently it was quite the party - they even ordered pizza. This picture is of Kenzie, Mandy and me in the recovery room. Apparently the temperature in the room was normal, but I was literally shaking cold - must have been from the drugs - that's why I'm in a mound of blankets up to my chin.

Once everyone left, I was able to go see Westin in the NICU - here he is at 6 lbs. 14 oz. and 19 inches long. This picture makes him look bigger than he is... he's so tiny.

The proud daddy

We're not just Courtney and Ryan anymore...

Westin was finally released from the NICU on Tuesday afternoon. It was so great for Ryan and me to finally hold him. Words can't even explain what a special moment that was. Since Tuesday, he's been in our room with us and I can't get enough of him. Seriously, I just stare at him when he's sleeping.
I hate to brag, but isn't he just adorable!

So, who does he look like?


We've had lots of visitors over the last couple days. Westin certainly has a lot of people who love him.

Grandma Connie

Aunt Camille

I have some more photos to post of my family and some of our other friends here with Westin, but he's starting to stir, so I better just get this published and I'll add more photos later.

Real quick - thanks to everyone who has sent flowers, left messages, written emails... we are so lucky and grateful to have such amazing friends and family.

8 comments:

Erika said...

Courtney! Congratulations! He is so stinkin cute! I am glad that everything went well. You look beautiful. I think he looks so much like Ryan. We are just so excited for you guys and can't wait until the next time we get to come out and visit. The THREE of you make such a cute little family.

tracie said...

Congratulations Courtney!!!!! I'm glad everything went well. Cherish these moments while Westin is small, they grow very quickly.

Krissy said...

Congratulations! I am so excited for you guys... I am so happy that everything went smoothly. He looks so cute and adorable! I can't wait to see you over break, hope you have a great Holiday Season, especially now that your little one is here! :)

Megan said...

courtney, westin is so precious. i seriously cant wait to meet him!! thanks for the pictures...but keep more coming! you look waaay too great for just having a baby! way to go. you all look so happy...love it!

Jason and Tawni said...

I am so happy to see pictures, I have been visualizing what he would end up looking like and I kinda think he looks like you ... He totally has your nose. What a cutie! It was great to talk to you this afternoon, I have been thinking about you and Ryan and little Westin everyday since he arrived. You guys sure make cute babies, I can't wait to meet him in person! xoxoxoxoxoxox

"Aunt Tawni"

April said...

Congratulations! He is absolutely adorable. I love his name too! It is true they do grow fast so even though the newborn stage is hard- cherish it! I am so excited for you being a mom is the best.

The Sutera Family said...

Congratulations! He is a way cute baby, and I'm not lieing!! I am so happy for the both of you. It is so fun having a new baby around. I wanted to tell you, if you don't already have it, but to get the book called "Baby Wies" It helped me out a ton. Your baby will sleep through the night in no time with this book.

Love you, and take care!

Jamie

Trisha B said...

Courtney! Congratulations! He is a handsome boy. You look like great for just having a c-section. I had a c-section too with Ashlynn. I hope you recover quickly. I hope you don't mind I found your blog. We have one too it's: http://thebrantinghamfam.blogspot.com