June 24, 2013

Sports Camp

Last week Westin participated in his first sports camp, and of course, loved every minute of it. The camp was five days, three hours each day, and covered basketball, baseball and soccer. Westin was so excited to start camp, and during the prior week had been asking, "how many more days until sports camp?" just about every day. (I've gotta remember not to  tell him about fun things so far in advance. He doesn't forget anything!) On the first day of camp, Westin was concerned about making sure he had all the right gear for camp, and wanted to bring his own bat, glove, cleats, and balls. I assured him the coaches would have everything for him, and luckily they delivered. Westin even got his own soccer ball and new camp shirt (he calls it a jersey) at the end of the first day. He was pretty stoked about both.


I thought after three hours of sports, W would at least be a little tired, but I was so wrong. The first three days after camp, he'd come home and continue playing sports or want to show me all his new moves.

A couple of the days I tried to get back to camp a little early so I could watch Westin in action. One of the days I was able to watch him play basketball. He loves to slam dunk, but in this picture he was shooting the ball and made the basket!

I'm so proud of Westin for how well and how quickly he can make friends. He has no problem going up to kids and asking if he can play with them, and when he makes a new friend, he's so excited. This is Willa, she was Westin's new camp buddy. On this particular day, I watched for about 30 minutes, and these two never left each other's side.

Finally on Thursday Westin started showing signs of actually being worn out. When we got home for lunch, I had to carry him inside because he was "just too tired." In this picture, he was going to go upstairs, but stopped here and claimed he just couldn't go any further!
Surprisingly (or maybe not), he was still ready and willing to go to the splash pad later that afternoon and swimming on Friday afternoon.

The last day of camp was Tournament Day, where the kids used their new skills to compete against one another. During the soccer game, W was goalie. Unfortunately, not much action happened on this end.

And it wouldn't be a summer camp without a certificate of completion, or what Westin called his "first place award."

We celebrated the week's accomplishment with lunch at Chick-fil-A, and then swimming with the Pettingills.

No comments: