May 17, 2013

Mother's Day

My favorite thing about Mother's Day is receiving the homemade gifts from Westin. I love what he picks out for me, or what he makes for me, or even what he writes about me. This year was no exception. After school on Thursday before Mother's Day, Westin brought home his gift for me. He claimed he wouldn't give it to me until Sunday, but three hours later, he told me, "Mom, I just can't wait any longer. Can I give you the gift now?" I certainly have no problem receiving gifts early, so I obliged and opened the bag right away. He had made me the flower pot and paper flowers, a book about me, and wrote out some fun facts about me - that part is always the most entertaining.
It's a little small, so here are the questions and answers:
What is your mom's name: Courtney
I love my mom because: she's nice to me
My mom is funniest when: sometimes she is (and here I thought I was funny ALL the time. Clearly, I need to start trying harder)
I like to do baseball with my mom
When I am sad, my mom: says shh shh (I promise this is out of comfort and to settle him down when he's crying... not to shut him up)
My favorite food my mom makes is: pizza
The think I love best about my mom is: that she loves me
If I could give my mom anything in the whole world it would be: ice cream (smart kid)

I was also surprised to come home that day to beautiful flowers from my dad and Loni.

On Sunday, Westin brought home a couple more Mother's Day gifts from primary.
The best thing she cooks is: brownie/ice cream
Her favorite food is: salads (probably not my favorite food, but definitely what I have to eat a lot)
Her favorite thing to do is: be a knight (Westin's going through a knight phase right now, so I guess I am too)
We like to games together
She is really good at: reading
The thing that makes my mom special is: the love in her heart
One thing my mom always says is: I love you
My mom taught me how to: be a knight

So I may not be effectively teaching him gospel principles or life lessons, but at least he remembers that I say "I love you" more than any of the other not-so-favorable comments I may make time to time. And hey, teaching someone to be a knight is some serious work... 

Along with the info sheet, he gave me this handsome picture of himself.

Nothing better than being this kid's mom! Westin is truly an amazing little boy, and I feel so blessed to be his mother. Best job around!

And it wouldn't be mother's day without talking about my mom - she's always been an incredible example to me in so many facets of life. As long as I can remember, I've always wanted to be like my mom and that desire has never faded. I admire her love, patience, kindness, compassion, charity. and hard work. 
Mom, can't imagine this life without you, your guidance, love, friendship, and support. Love you more than words will ever fully express.

I am also blessed to have a mother-in-law and step-mom who I admire, love and look up to.

Happy Mother's Day!

No comments: