This weekend we journeyed over to Luzern, another popular town just about 30 minutes from us by train. We had heard great things about Luzern and were not disappointed. In fact, I'm looking forward to going back with my dad and Loni next week, as well as my mom later in August. There were lots of things we didn't have time to do that I'll drag my parents to (particularly Mt. Pilatus and Weggis).
Grandiose arches in front of the train stations seems to be a theme here.
This is Chapel Bridge, built as part of the city's defense system in the 14th century, was partially burned down in 1993 by a boat that caught fire right underneath it.
It's a beautiful bridge that connects the more modern area of Luzern to Old Town.
As we walked along the Reuss River, there was a huge farmer's market going on. If we were living in Luzern, I would be here every Saturday. The produce, baked breads, and cheeses looked absolutely amazing. I wanted to try them all.
This is the Jesuit Church - the first major Baroque church built in Switzerland
Another charming little bridge, Mill Bridge, that looks out to the Reuss River water system - which Westin thought was the coolest part of the day.
Watching the water system at work
Throughout Old Town, buildings are decorated with elaborate paintings. Each building has its own personality and the artwork is stunning.
A big fan of rushing water, Westin also loved every fountain we came across
The Blue Dog stores are a big department store here in Switzerland. This was the one picture Westin suggest we take.
A few minutes from Old Town is Lowenplatz, where the famous Lion Monument resides. This sculpture is was carved right into the mountain and is 33 feet wide and 28 feet long. The inscription reads, "To the loyalty and bravery of the Swiss."
After walking around the city, we decided to take a three hour boat tour to see some of the towns around the lake. The lake is huge, and in three hours we only covered about a third of it.
The forecast predicted rain all day, but luckily we only encountered a few light showers here and there. Much better than our rainy weekend in Zurich.
The landscape was beyond picturesque. I wish my camera could really capture the beauty.
This is Mt. Pilatus
One of many little towns around the lake
After a lovely day in Luzern, we returned home to this beauty across from our apartment.






















1 comment:
yay! I love Luzern! I camped here back in the day. Totally remember some of those sites. You have to take the train from Luzern to Interloken. AMAZING scenery. So incredible!
Post a Comment