There are so many times when I think (know) it would be so much easier to give in and let him have what he wants (like when he asked for M&Ms at 7 a.m. the other morning, or insists he wear pajama bottoms (what he calls superhero pants) everyday, all day). But I realize that would only make things worse. He's challenging me... a lot. A lot, a lot, a lot. I seriously have to give myself a pep talk when the tantrums break out. "Stand your ground. Don't lose control. You can do it. It will be over soon."
Of course, I can't do all this complaining without saying that we also have so many wonderful moments. Moments when I can't help but laugh out loud at what he's saying or doing. Moments when I'm holding him and he'll just grab my cheeks and give me a kiss. Moments when he helps me carry the trash out. Moments when he tells me he loves me "this much," with his arms out as wide as they can reach. Moments when he comes up to me and tells me he wants to dress up like Nephi (from the Book of Mormon). Moments when he hugs me and tells me he missed me after I've been gone for work. There are a lot, a lot, a lot of great moments... and these are the moments I have to flood my mind with when we have those other kinds of moments :)
Anyway, for anyone reading who hasn't yet hit age two and three with their kids... just know that the terrible twos really aren't terrible... it's the trying threes that will test your patience more than you could EVER imagine.
Here's to nine more months of age three!

6 comments:
Oh I am right there with you! Except Nates terrible two are pretty trying right now.... Timeouts happen all too often some days. We need to get these two hooligans together to let out their energy!
You are definitely NOT alone! :)
Someone told me recently they didn't start really liking their kid again until they were about four years old... and I think that is how things will be going with this boy of mine as well. Six more months...
So I had also heard that 4 was a magical age. I (no joke) woke up on the morning of C's 4th B-day expecting a totally new kid. HA!! Didn't quite work out that way. But there are 365 days of being 4, and we have more good moments than tough ones these days.Being a mom kicks your you-know-what!!! But it's so worth it!
amen.
eli was super hard at 18 months... and then when he turned 3 he got really hard again : ). life of a mom!!
btw - do you like that i'm posting on every single post? apparently i can't get enough of your good posts right now : )
amen. I HATE age 3. Tell everyone that. But....there are "those" moments.
Post a Comment