December 3, 2009

Trip to Utah Part 2

Alright, back for part 2.

Friday morning we went to Park City to meet up with Ryan's family who was renting a cabin in Deer Valley for the holiday week. After a yummy breakfast, we headed over to the Park City resort to go ice skating. Unfortunately, Westin is still too little for this fun activity, so I kept him company on the side while the rest of the gang shredded some ice.
Poor guy. All he wants to do is play with the big boys.
Ryan doing with the "Kirk Gibson on ice" move (you'll need to be a Dodger fan to get that reference).
Clapping for dad
Ryan, Adam, Trevor, Grandpa Rick, Lily, and Lindsay
Grandpa with Westin and Lily
After ice skating, we all headed down to Salt Lake for the first night of the This is the Place Park Christmas event. It was freezing cold and Westin didn't last long. But for the hour we were there, we had a great time.
~
The group on board the train: Trevor, Grandma Connie, Lily, Brian, Adam, Ryan, Gemma, Grandpa Rick and Lindsay.
Here's the little guy all bundled up. Explanation for the pink hat on Westin: we failed as parents and didn't have a hat that covered Westin's ears. I know, what were we thinking? Lindsay saved the day and let us borrow one of Gemma's hats.
Saturday Ryan went to the BYU vs. Utah game (pretty sure you all know who won that game!)with some friends while I stayed at my mom's. Toward the end of the game I drove down to Provo to meet up with Ryan and the gang for dinner at one of our Provo staples, The Smokehouse.
~
Hanging with Uncle Chris.
And playing with Grandma Diana
Westin discovered three new obsessions while staying at my mom's place: climbing stairs, pushing things (boxes, high chairs, stools, etc.) and opening and closing the doggy door. I have video of the first two things that I'll post later. Here's a picture of the third. He would open the gate, walk through, close it hard enough for it to lock, yell, I would then open it, and he would start this game all over... again and again and again.

Sunday we went to church with my mom and then Ryan had to get to the airport to head back to LA :( That night I took Westin to my aunt Kathy's house for the weekly Carlston family get together.

Westin's Great Grandma Margaret and aunt Sue (my dad's twin!)
Kenzie and my dad
Big surprise, Westin found something to push around (can you guess what Westin might be gettinfg for Christmas?)
Sisters. Ah, so cute.
Me, my cousin Kelsi, Great Grandma Margaret, W, Grandpa Steve, and Kenzie
We didn't do much on Monday, just hung out with my mom, Kenzie and Trev. That night I helped my mom make a set for her ward Christmas party and got things ready to go for Tuesday's trip home.
~
Before going home on Tuesday, we visited my dad at his new office in downtown SLC. He is now the VP/GM of KUTV (where I actually worked right after I graduated college). Here's grandpa Steve with his employee in training.
And a snapshot of grandpa sharing a rice krispie treat with W at lunch.

After our visit with grandpa, it was time for Westin and me to join Ryan in LA. The flight alone with Westin went pretty well... just exhausting trying to keep him contained in such a small space. I'm not sure I could do a flight longer than 90 minutes without someone else to help entertain this active little guy. Seriously, W is NON-STOP. I actually don't understand how he doesn't just fall asleep at any given moment from exerting as much energy as he does throughout the day.
~
Anyway, we're home, the house is cleaned, the laundry is almost done and now I've got to get ready for two work trips back to back, Westin's birthday party, and Christmas. Geez, I'm tired just thinking about everything that is going on this month. I'm sure you know the feeling. But I'm so glad it's December. I love December! The Christmas music is already playing at our house (channel 801 on DirecTV) and the baking has begun (made chocolate, peanut butter fudge yesterday. Sugar cookies are next on the list). Happy Holidays!

No comments: