September 30, 2013

First Day of Preschool (Year 2)

Westin finally started preschool two weeks ago. I say "finally" because I swear his school was the last to start. The first day wasn't until September 13th. He'd been asking me for about two weeks prior when he was going to school. Needless to say, we were both pretty pumped when the day finally arrived. 

We started the first day of school with happy pancakes, because we were both so happy for school to start. (Nope, I'm not one of those moms who gets emotional when they say goodbye to their kids. I know how much he loves going to school, so I'm just excited for him... ok, ok, there is a little part of me that wishes I could be a fly on the wall to make sure he's making friends, but then I look at this goofy, adorable face and remember that Westin is a champ when it comes to making friends. I'm so impressed by his fearlessness. He can walk up to anyone, introduce himself and say, "wanna be friends?." Only once have I seen him get shot down and it broke my heart. At age 30, I was ready to start a fight with a 5-year-old. I decided to refrain myself, but it wasn't easy.) Anyway... back to the first day of school... the pancakes and my goofy preschooler:

Westin picked out his first day of school attire. Camo pants were a must!

This year, he's attending Walnut Creek Presbyterian - 3 days/week for 3 hours. His teachers are Mrs. Doughtery and Mrs. Stearns, in Room 3. After I check him in each morning, he is supposed to go to this board, find his name and pull it out to show his attendance for the day. 

Parents were allowed to stay for the first circle time. I chose to stay off to the side, because Westin was totally in his element. He walked right in, found a seat next to another little boy, introduced himself and they were immediately best friends. In fact, Westin was already giving him hugs within the first few minutes. 

I'm so grateful for Westin's tender heart and friendly nature. What a great blessing that will be throughout his life - for him and for others around him. 

No comments: