December 10, 2012

Westin Turns 4

Saturday, December 8th, was the big day. Westin finally turned 4. I say "finally" because the kid has wanted to be 4 since the day he turned 3, and for the last month, he's been asking how much longer until his birthday. 

I was so excited to be home and see him the morning of his birthday. He woke up ready to celebrate at 6:15 (about four hours after I had finally gotten to bed). I did everything I could to walk in his room looking wide-eyed and just as excited to start the celebration - I don't think he suspected for a minute that I was really still thinking about my bed at that moment. I immediately said, "happy birthday!" and Westin replied just as enthusiastically,  "happy birthday" to me as well. In fact, I think he may have said, "happy birthday" to everyone who said "happy birthday" to him... just trying to make everyone feel special, I guess. (I wouldn't put it past him."

In an attempt to relax in bed just a little longer, I tried to cuddle up with W and tell him about the day he was born. That lasted about two seconds before he was ready to head downstairs and hunt for presents. Instead, I gave him his birthday crown and said he had to wait until we talked to Ryan on Skype at 8 to open presents. (Ryan was still in SF, getting ready to take off for Switzerland that afternoon). So we colored his crown, eagerly waiting until 8 a.m.

8 a.m. finally arrived and W started opening his gifts. Actually, grandma Diana and Garry gave W their gift a little early to keep him busy while he waited to open the rest. The first hit of the day, a two-in-one Lightening McQueen Race Car/Flyer. Westin had first laid eyes on the toy at Nate's house during our last LA visit. He apparently went home to grandma Diana and didn't stop talking about it. So needless to say, it was a huge hit.

Next up were some gifts from mom and dad - some clothes (including a new Batman shirt with a detachable cape) and a marshmallow gun, with a bag of mini marshmallows.


Next up were gifts from grandpa and grandma Rich - rain boots, rain jacket, and a tool belt kit.



After the morning festivities, I worked on Westin's cupcake request - mint chocolate chip. I used my favorite chocolate cake recipe from Sweetapolita and created my own white chocolate mint frosting. I was pretty happy with the results. My mom, W and I then headed to a park to meet some friends for a informal birthday celebration.

Will, Sydney, Austin, W, Emery, Jersey and Ben

Tamara, Abe, River, Kimber, Jen and Greyson

Nate and W
We had so much fun seeing our LA buddies and I'm so grateful to everyone who could stop by. We miss you all so much!

Missing dad in our little, half family birthday photo...


Westin is growing up so fast and I love every minute of it. Here's a quick rundown of some fun Westin facts:
-He wakes up happy and energetic every morning
-He likes to yell, "goodbye, goodbye dad, goodbye" as loud as he can every morning as Ryan walks out the door at 6:45 a.m. (I'm sure our neighbors love that)
-He loves to pretend he's someone else, be it a friend, a superhero, an athlete, a TV character...
-He loves the word "awesome" and uses it to describe anything he thinks is cool. And if it's really cool, he'll add in "super"
-He's still a "super" picky eater, with a diet consisting of, bananas, apples, berries, cheese, yogurt, crackers, quesadillas and dino-nuggets
-He's quite an artist
-He's a bit of a perfectionist and struggles to accept not being the best at something right away
-He loves to be active
-He likes to tell jokes and make people laugh
-He's awesome at giving hugs and surprising me with kisses
-He likes to load laundry in the dryer
-He likes to do everything on his own
-He has started telling me to "keep doing what I'm doing" or "look over there" when he wants to do something naughty
-He's already started informing us when our prayers are too long
-He has an excellent memory
-He loves all things superheroes
-He loves all things sports
-He loves his friends
-He loves his family

No comments: