October 8, 2011

My Little Skater Boy

The other day I wrote a quick post on Facebook about Westin pretending he had a skateboard for a day. Well, that day has turned into four and the imaginary skateboard and my little skater boy are still with us. His first exposure to skateboarders was a few weeks ago when we were in Utah. My dad took Westin to a skateboard competition. Of course, that day all Westin could talk about was skateboarding, but I didn't hear him mention it again until this past week. We had a big rain storm here a few days ago, and as we were about to head outside, I grabbed Westin's sweatshirt - which happens to have a bunch of skateboards on it. He saw it and it was like a light bulb in his head suddenly went off. He immediately asked for his skateboard and pretended to grab one off of the sweatshirt. From that moment on, the skateboard has gone everywhere with us - in the car, to kids club, to the grocery store, and to bed with Westin at night. His favorite thing to do with the "skateboard" is tricks... lots and lots of jumping around.

Here are two moments with Westin and the skateboard that had me laughing out loud this week:

I had just shut the front door on our way out...
Westin: Wait mom! I forgot something.
Me: What did you forget?
Westin: My skateboard. 
Me: Really? Ok. (I pretend to grab it out of my pocket and hand it to him).
Westin: No, mom. It's inside. We need to get it.
Me: Ok. (I open the door and grab the skateboard to hand to him).
Westin: Thanks. Now I'm going to skate down the hall and do a trick. Can I bring it in the car too?

The next day Westin again asked for his skateboard as we were going somewhere. I pretended to hand him it and he replied: "No mom. Not that one. I want the big green one." Ha! My bad. I then gave him another skateboard and he said, "Yeah, that one."

Gotta love a kid with a good imagination. It makes for some very entertaining days.

2 comments:

d said...

so cute. Ro just got a skateboard for his birthday and it is so adorable to watch him attempt the skater skills. I think an imaginary board may have been a better, and safer idea!

The Evers Family said...

That's hilarious! gotta love the creativity.