October 5, 2011

Homemade Granola

When we were in Utah a couple weeks ago, my sister-in-law, Lindsay, introduced me to this granola recipe (from mygreendiet.com) and I've had it almost everyday since. I'm obsessed. It's delicious and definitely one of the more healthy granola options I've seen. It's great with almond milk (or regular milk), fruit, yogurt, by the handful... it's just good!
-
3 cups rolled oats
1/4 cup wheat germ (recipe calls for whole wheat flour, but I say use the wheat germ - it's healthier)
3/4 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
3/4 cup sliced almonds (optional - I've made it with and without the almonds. Yummy either way)
1/4 cup flax seed
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 cup maple syrup
1/2 cup safflower or sunflower oil (check specialty stores for this, or use canola if you can't find it)
1 tsp vanilla
Preheat oven to 300
Mix all dry ingredients in a medium sized bowl. Mix wet ingredients in a seperate bowl.  Combine dry and wet together until evenly coated.  Pour the mixture onto a greased baking sheet and spread to cover evenly.  Bake for 20 minutes, stir and bake another 15-20 minutes depending on preferred doneness. Definitely check on the granola throughout the baking process the first time you make it. Everyone's ovens bake differently. My sister-in-law only has to bake her granola for a total of 20-25 minutes. My best batch was 20 minutes and then another 15 minutes. It hardens a little more once it cools too, so don't over bake it in the oven.
Store in an airtight container.  Refrigerate or freeze to extend freshness.

No comments: