October 18, 2011

A Mother Moment

Just recently, as a Primary presidency, we decided to bring the senior nursery kids into Primary during sharing time and music time to help them get acquainted with the teachers, leaders, older kids and the schedule in general. I happened to be conducting this past Sunday - the first Sunday the nursery kids were coming in. As I was conducting, our Sunbeam teachers came in with the nursery kids walking closely behind them in a line. In that line was Westin. I looked up from what I was doing and caught his eye. He smiled at me. To my surprise, I suddenly got choked up and had to fight back tears. Standing there in front of me was a boy. My baby was gone. 
-
I stood in front of that room feeling more proud of my son than I ever have. I didn't even get this emotional on his first day of school, but here he was, wearing his tie and walking in with his arms folded (just like he was told), and I couldn't help but feel so much love, admiration and pride for this little boy who has taught me more about life, motherhood, myself, and the Gospel than I've learned in the previous 25 years of my life without him. How is that possible? How can this little person do that? I'm not entirely sure, but I'm so incredibly grateful that I have this blessing in my life.
-
He'll be 3-years-old in two months. Three-years-old!?!? Can you believe that? He's learning and growing so much. I can't wait to see what this next year holds for him and for our family. I'm sure it will be nothing short of fun and memorable.
-
To finish off this post, I have to write down a couple funny moments I've had with Westin lately.
-
During our evening scripture study, I asked Westin to read a scripture from The Book of Mormon. This was what he "read," "It came to pass. Nephi was good and listened to his parents."
-
Westin has started calling some of his friends, his big brothers. In fact, he's even gone as far as introducing friends to others as his brothers. Think he's hinting something at me?
-
While watching a skateboarder at the park this week, Westin yelled out at him "Cool trick!" and "That was awesome!". 
-
As Westin walked into preschool last week, the teacher said, "Hi, Westin." He replied, "I'm not Westin. I'm Spiderman!"
-
... it's never a boring day with this kid around.



2 comments:

Abigail said...

Aww... that is a cute little moment to have with your baby :) He is getting so big- everytime I see him, I can't believe it! Love that he was folding his arms- what a good kid!!

The Evers Family said...

I've been feeling the same watching. I refuse to stop calling Easton my baby doll, however. I'm wondering if soon he will ask me too though.