August 7, 2013

Avery's Arrival

Get ready for picture overload... and this is just the time in the hospital. We're a little obsessed with our new addition.

So the plan for this pregnancy was to try for a VBAC, since I had a C-Section with W. Up until the last couple weeks of the pregnancy, I was pretty hopeful she'd come on her own. However, the closer we got to her due date, the more it looked like that wasn't going to happen. We ended up scheduling the C-Section for August 1st, the day after her actual due date. 

My sister-in-law, Jan, picked Westin up Wednesday night, so that Ryan and I could head over to the hospital at 5:30 a.m. for the 7:30 surgery. Since I barely slept and finally just got out of bed at 4, I decided to kill time by getting myself ready (which was pretty worthless for the day's activities, but did succeed in time wasting).


We arrived at the hospital and started all the surgery prep, during which time, I actually fainted. I think it was due to a combination of no sleep, no food for 9 hours, and my posterior positioned uterus pushing against my nerves as I laid on my back for a while. Since it had happened to me earlier in the pregnancy, I knew what was happening as it was coming on. Thank heavens I was in the right place for this to happen. Five nurses were in the room within seconds and I was back to normal shortly thereafter. 

Once that was resolved, we played the waiting game until 7:30 when the nurses took me into the OR. The second I rolled into the room, the first thing I noticed was the huge table full of all the tools/supplies they'd be using. It was a bit overwhelming and made me a little nervous for the first time. I never saw any of that with Westin. I then got the epidural and had to wait a few minutes for it to kick in. Unfortunately, they had a hard time getting it to spread all the way up my abdomen. They used some local to help dumb the pain around the incision, but it wasn't until they had cut me open and started moving things around that I could feel more of the pain in my upper abdomen. As they got near getting Avery out, they started really pushing and pulling on things, and I could actually feel pain from it. So it was definitely a different experience this time around - and one that I hope I don't ever have to repeat - but at the end of the day, Avery came out perfectly healthy and I'm in bed healing without any problems :)

So Miss Avery arrived at 8:16 a.m., 7 lbs. 7 oz. and 19 3/4 inches long, and immediately found her thumb.

Here's where the overload of pictures begins. Just a warning.

Hanging out with mom and dad in the recovery room.



Jan brought Westin over to the hospital Thursday night. We were so excited for him to meet his baby sister, as was he. He walked in and climbed into bed with me, and told me about his day with the cousins. As soon as I was done asking him a bunch of questions, he said, "can I meet Avery now?" He did a great job holding her for the first time and loved looking at her small hands and feet. 



I'm so proud of Westin. He's been such a good boy during my pregnancy, and has been so excited to be a big brother. He always talks about how Avery will like her room and clothes, or how he wants to give her some of his toys or blankets. She is one lucky girl to have this amazing kid as her big brother!


On Friday afternoon, my mom arrived! She met me at the hospital for a couple hours and then went to the house, where she took on the role of Westin's entertainer, my house cleaner and chef. There's nothing like having your mom around to help take care of you!

Westin quickly figured out the best part of the hospital visits - free juice!

He'd come into the room, say hi, and then immediately ask to go to the juice room. He'd then come hop on my bed, get some crackers from the nurse, and enjoy this little snack.

Saturday, Jan brought Miranda to visit. I love this picture - oldest and youngest of the Rich cousins.

Also turned out that I was able to go home Saturday night - a bit early for the C-Section, but I was kind of begging to get out of there. And since Avery and I were lookin' good, the docs obliged and we left that night in time for dinner at home.


Already making herself cozy in mom and dad's bed.

I love this picture! Westin's first time feeding Avery. 

And as luck would have it, my grandparents were driving through the area on Monday and were able to stop by for a visit.

4 comments:

BreAnne Kavanagh said...

Well you looked amazing at the hospital:) I can't believe you were able to feel them moving things inside of you!! That would freak me out too! Love all the pictures and I'm glad your mom came.... What would we do without them:) Avery is so beautiful and I'm sure you're just soaking up every minute with her. I can't wait to meet that cutie.

Monica said...

I love it! What a beauty. Can't wait to see her! Well done--and I hope you're recovering alright.

tracie said...

Congrats!!!! She's beautiful. And so are you...if only I could look that great after having a kid!

Heather said...

Hi Courtney! My name is Heather and I was hoping you would be willing to answer a question I have about your blog! My email is Lifesabanquet1(at)gmail.com