July 9, 2013

A Little Girls' Staycation

This past week, Ryan's entire family flew to Maui, HI. We had been planning the vacation with everyone for about a year - long before I knew I was pregnant. So, unfortunately for me (and W), the timing of this pregnancy meant that I was 36 weeks at the time of the trip and wouldn't be able to go. I was bummed, to say the least. I still wanted Ryan to go with everyone. It's not often his family does a vacation like this. So he left on Saturday morning, and W and I were on our own for a couple days until Kenzie arrived to keep us company on Monday. Ryan suggested we fly her out for the week, and I'm so glad we did. It was so fun to have her around and spend time together. We loaded the week with activities, and were joined by my mom on Friday, through the second weekend. 

We picked Kenzie up from Oakland and headed straight to lunch. (This preggo was starving, and as unglamorous as In n' Out is, it sounded perfect to me). 

We then headed into the city, where we explored some of Golden Gate Park and got ice cream at Bi-Rite Creamery.
So handsome!


Strawberry Hill row boats


The next day we were kind of slow moving throughout the morning. We went to the gym, ran some errands and didn't get out of the house until about 2. And even though it was about 100 degrees, we decided to go to the Alameda Fair in Pleasanton. Yeah, we lasted about two hours and called it quits. It was pretty miserable. All of us were dripping sweat. Luckily, during those two hours we got to see a couple shows that Westin loved and ultimately made the misery of the heat worth it.

On Wednesday, Kenzie and I got to escape for a few hours for some girl time sans Westin. While he played with a friend, Kenzie and I had lunch at La Boulange and then shopped around Walnut Creek.
Afterwards, we picked up Westin and took him to see Despicable Me 2 - a treat for all three of us!

Thursday was 4th of July, so we started the day with a parade and festivities in Orinda with the Pettingills. (It was also their last day before their move, so it was nice to get a little more time with them!)

I had big plans of picnicing in the park and watching fireworks, but we were all pretty exhausted. I put W to bed by 8, and Kenzie and I lounged on the couch watching a movie. There's years of fireworks ahead, anyway, right?

Then on Friday, grandma Diana joined our party. We picked her up from Oakland and headed back to the city, where we finally tested out Dynamo's Donuts (delish, but Donut Plant in NYC is better), and walked along the water from the Ferry Building to Pier 39. Along the way, we stopped for a real meal at The Plant and at the America's Cup Venue.


On Saturday, we went to Lettuce for lunch, and then spent the afternoon shopping (again) in Walnut Creek. 



Westin's day ended with a fun surprise from grandma - his first set of Legos, Star Wars Legos, to be exact. He was so thrilled! And of course, we had to put it together as soon as we got home.

Sunday morning we went to church, where Westin bore his testimony for the first time (more to come on that later), and then made a visit to see Missy and her new baby, Harvey. (Missy and my mom worked together at Maggie Sottero in Utah).
Westin couldn't wait to get his turn. I have no doubt he's going to be an amazing older brother.

That afternoon, we took a drive up to Napa, where we explored the small downtown area and then drove up the highway, looking at all the vineyards and wineries. It was such a beautiful area. I wouldn't hesitate going back.


The week came and went far too fast. It was so wonderful to have my mom and sister here - just makes me sad we're not closer and can't do this more often. However, I feel so lucky to have such a close relationship with both of them and am already looking forward to the next time we're all together. Love you girls!


2 comments:

Kacey Nielsen said...

You. Look. Fantastic.

The Sutera Family said...

Looks like you had lot's of fun. You are such a cute pregnant girl! Love it!